Trial run of PondCare AlgeaFix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial run of PondCare AlgeaFix

To start this off, I'd like to say that I'm not one for chemical warfare, but OHMYGODALGEA!! So-- I picked up a bottle of this stuff at the pet store, and I'm giving it a shot. I'm kinda ashamed to say that I'm using the 150 gallon pond (with my commons and comets) as my test subject, but I'd rather something go wrong with the fish that are cheaper than the ones that are 4-10 bucks a pop... <.< Good luck, my pretties!

It's not the algea on the walls that I care about, but the green water is rediculous. This stuff kills it all, so oh well. Hopefully I can just use this until we have the gazebo over the ponds. We've finally had the time to build the dang thing, and it's been raining! Stupid Florida...

Anyways, I dosed the pond with a tablespoon of the AlgeaFix a little bit ago, so I'll let you guys know how it all goes.

Re: Trial run of PondCare AlgeaFix

Have you tried using Barley Straw Pellets as an alternative?

Comment

Sorry, but you will be disappointed. It may reduce the algae for a day or two, but euglena will quickly return.

What are yout water parameters?
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

They're too expensive in my area. Lowes is the only place that has them, and they are way over priced!

I'm not completely relying on this stuff lol I've been doing water changes as often as I can afford (every one to two weeks). It's not my parameters, but the fact that the pond currently gets full sun all day long. But to answer that, I don't know. I can find out this weekend provided I'm not working every second lol

The directions say dose every three days until its under control, then dose once a week. I don't plan on using this stuff for ever. I'd just like to keep the algea at bay some until the gazebo goes up over the ponds.

Side note, I'm tweakin' out over here! I've never used an algeacide before and I don't like the thought of it... <.<

Comment

This form of algae is usually caused by ammonia and too much light. And foten the parameters are fine because the algar consumed it!

I tried AlgaeFix before I understood the causes. It didn't make a dent!

Could you cover the pond with a tarp? Reduce the lighting and watch for ammonia.
          - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Tell the fish to stop pooping!
            Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

Originally posted by catsma_97504
              This form of algae is usually caused by ammonia and too much light. And foten the parameters are fine because the algar consumed it!

I tried AlgaeFix before I understood the causes. It didn't make a dent!

Could you cover the pond with a tarp? Reduce the lighting and watch for ammonia.

It hasn't been raining much here lately (except the past few days with a front coming in) so I've been having to do water changes with our yucky city water. In my tanks, the plants take care of the ammonia and such, but the ponds only got one lily, and it's getting out competed by the algea, and dying back. I have plans to make a mini bog filter but I just need the money to buy the rest of the stuff :/ Thankfully it's been storming every day for the last few days, so no doubt that will help with the temp and the ammonia.

The only tarp we have is utterly huge, so I'd need some help. It's covered in paint though, and yuckiness. Would it be ok? The 65 gallon pond has got some shade from the waterfall, so it's not as bad. I don't mind it in there though because of my pleco and the fact that the pond is small and should any predetors make it through the fence, they can "hide" in the murk lol

According to the bottle, it's the safest algeacide available for fish and plants. This has remain to be seen, and even then I'll never fully trust it!

Cichlid, I only feed them two or three times a week! It's the frogs that keep laying eggs in my pond that's making them poop so much XD

Comment

I think that you will be able to keep things controlled for a bit with this but like Dena said until you can fix the root problem it will always come back.

The only other thing I could think of would be adding a small UV light to a filtration unit somewhere along the way, if you run it all the time in a dark environment it should keep htings knocked down for you and make it manageable. Either that or running it for a week or so every month should keep it at bay at least.
                -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Originally posted by pirahnah3
                  I think that you will be able to keep things controlled for a bit with this but like Dena said until you can fix the root problem it will always come back.

The only other thing I could think of would be adding a small UV light to a filtration unit somewhere along the way, if you run it all the time in a dark environment it should keep htings knocked down for you and make it manageable. Either that or running it for a week or so every month should keep it at bay at least.
                  The only place to buy UV lights locally what's a couple hundred for the smallest get up.

To really get this mess under control, I need to get the algea down some so my lily can start growing again, I need to get that bog filter going, and I need more rain (so I can stop using the ammonia, etc, ridden city water)! Oh, snd cover up some of thr pond with a tarp. Perhaps I can just do a partial dose, to keep it down enough that the newer, lower leaves of the lily can get some sun?

Also, what if the tarp traps in heat and the pond over heats?? D:

Comment

Lost Scrat over night. But, as much as I'd like to blame this algea stuff, I think it was something else. I've been fighting soap bubbles in this pond for a week or so, and thought I had finally gotten it a few days ago with my last water change. Apparently not. That's what I get for not washing my hands with the soap I normaly do. Stupid Bath and Boby Works soap....

I also changed how I dosed the Prime last water change. I used a saringe, rather than my normal measuring spoons. But the other fish are fine, so maybe it's not that.

I also changed their food pretty drastically from how I usually make it. Used a bunch of beef heart, no egg, and didn't boiled it as long....

I also noticed the last Time I took pics of him, his front half was enlarged, and today It looked normal...? Anyways, I just feel like, since all the other fish are fine, it wasn't the algea stuff, but something else. Could just be extremely coincidental for all I know.

Any ways, I added 30 or so gallons of water, treated it for the whole ponds worth of Prime, and dumped the whole thing in, letting it overflow in hopes that that would skim off some of the dead algea and soap bubbles. I'm not going to have time do much else until Sunday! Then, I guess I'll have to remove all the fish, drain the whole stupid pond, hose it out, and drain it some more. Oh, and clean out the filter, I guess. Awesome.

Comment

Sorry you lost one of your goldies. Hopefully the rest will remain healthy.
                      - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Hopefully :/ I'm not sure if it was the AlgeaFix, something else, or perhaps a mix.

Comment

Sorry you lost one of your little buddies. Hopefully he is the only one.
                          -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

The other fish all look fine and attacked me over food this morning. I think is was a freak thing. What I really keep coming back to was how big the front half of his body was. Didn't think anythin of it at the time, but not it's bugging me... I'll make a separate thread about it though.

Comment

fish attacking you for food is a good thing!
                              -Jim-

Comment

Working...
                              X