Considering building a modest pond

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering building a modest pond

I'm considering building a modest pond next to my garden. I'm thinking of using one of those half wheel barrels either lining or painting that rubber paint stuff.

My question. I was thinking of dirting it and planting Anacharis, Najas Grass, Cabomba and maybe a floating lilly so I don't have to worry about buying a filter for it. I can also get a solar powered fountain for circulation that shoots water up. Stocking initially with RCS and letting the colony explode and some elders or mosquito fish.

Question:

1. What do you think of the stocking plan, I'm leaning towards mosquito fish though just in case I get mosquito larvae

2. How do stop your ponds from overflowing when it rains?
    Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Any small fish will eat mosquito larvae and the adults if they stay on the surface too long.

Keep the water level 2-3 lower than the lip of the container.

I suggest going with the liner. Quicker and you don't have to worry about having missed a spot.

I have been doing this type of thing for 30 years.
    The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

Thanks Dino.

It is actually 1/2 a wine barrel, not wheel. Sorry. I think I will put mosquito fish since I can get them for free from Vector control in my city.
      Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

Sounds like you are off to a good start.
        Be aware, mosquito fish are bullies. They do not play well with other species.

Comment

Sounds like a fun project!

If you don't want to dirt the whole thing, you can always use pots because there is a little less mess.

I've never had my pond overflow. I keep mine about 2 inches from the top of the liner.

Comment

Good luck with the project! I prefer keeping flashy fish in ponds like guppies or endlers. Don't like mosquito fish lol. You could do Ricefish and allow them to multiply and then make some cash off them. They're really difficult to kill.
            -Jonathan

Comment

I'm glad your thinking of trying this out NS

I use pots for my plants to keep things easier to clean, I like your mosquito fish idea, vector control does the same up here.

As far as overflowing, mine will in most heavy rains but generally I keep it about an inch or so low. I just put my first small fish in so I'm not sure how that will pan out down the road.
              __________________________________________________ _____
              Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
              110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Awesome, photos of the project please! Also what is vector control?
                When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Vector equals mosquito.

Mosquitos are the vector ( how something infects) for West Nile virus.

Comment

Ah okay thanks
                    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

You are most welcome!

Comment

Went to home depot on my break and was looking for a 1/2 wine barrel and the ones they have are tiny. I did see a large terra cotta pot that might work.
                        Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

I think I found my container

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366690627636.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	138219
                          Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

Those look awesome! Are you just getting one? It would be SUPER cool if you made a tower, four on the bottom and one on top, and set up a pump such that the water flowed out through the top one and into the bottom ones.

Comment

Those look good to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X