Cleaned my pond today!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned my pond today!

Well, I just got done cleaning my pond about an hour ago. I'm exhausted!!! I'll just say that I really wasn't expecting it to be that much work just for a cleaning!

This was my first spring with the pond (been set up for about a year now I believe). I noticed that the fish were becoming very active lately, but the water was all murky and the bottom was just covered in gunk that got stirred up every time the fish swam around. I started by hooking up a hose to my pump outlet and letting the water run down the hill beside the house until the pump started grabbing air. At that point I had about 3-4 inches of water left. Then i got all the fish out (NOT something i want to do again any time soon...). I then scrubbed everything I could see with a brush. I didn't get it spotless because I wanted to keep some of the slimy stuff for the fish. Then I used a shop vac to get all the gunk and remaining water from the bottom. About 25 shop vacs full of water later and a good 3 inches of solid skum later, I was done! Took me about 5 hours total to do.

The pond is currently filling up and the fish are in a 55g trash can with a big sponge filter. They are gonna stay there until tomorrow evening because out well water is very cold and will take a while to warm up.

Well, there's my first pond cleaning experience! I need to figure out a better system for next time.

Awesome! I hated cleaning my ponds lol. So did you find any new fishes? Where are the pictures!? We wanna see you covered with slime!
    -Jonathan

Comment

Fun... you just made me think of all the work of an outdoor pond I didn't think of...
      It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
      As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94 View Post
        Awesome! I hated cleaning my ponds lol. So did you find any new fishes? Where are the pictures!? We wanna see you covered with slime!
        Well I found about a dozen shubunkin fry that survived the winter. One my my comets is fat with eggs my koi got a lot bigger than the last time I saw him up close. He is so shy. Barely ever comes out of hiding. I also found a ton of trapdoor snails and one ramshorn snail.

I have three frogs in the pond and two of them laid eggs that hatched into tadpoles! They laid before but all the tadpoles strangely disappeared. I found at least 20 that were a good 2 1/2 inches long this time. 2 of the frogs stuck right beside me through the whole cleaning. Every time I went to move they were sitting on my feet! Probably trying to get warm or something.

Ha. My mom was helping me clean and she threw a big chunk of green hair algae at me and it stuck to my face, but unfortunately, I didn't take a picture (wouldn't want you all making fun of me ).

Comment

Ha... mom is priceless...

~Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
            Fun... you just made me think of all the work of an outdoor pond I didn't think of...
            It's well worth a good cleaning once a year and other standard maintenance (filter, pump, etc). I really enjoy watching the fish and listening to the waterfall at night. I also enjoy all the neat flowers and plants that I plant in and around it.

Do it Anthony, dig a pond......

Comment

I've really been thinking about it... but it might not happen this year, I have tons of landscaping to do and tree's to take down and cut up plus house maintenance, a new deck and possibly paving my driveway...

~Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                I've really been thinking about it... but it might not happen this year, I have tons of landscaping to do and tree's to take down and cut up plus house maintenance, a new deck and possibly paving my driveway...
                Sounds like you have a lot to get done! I'll just say this. If, no, when you put in your pond, make it exactly how you want it and use the right materials the first time! I tried to cheap out and use a liner not meant for pond and ended up having to dig the whole thing out and start over.

Also forgot to mention that I started the flowers for around the pond. The seeds are planted in small plastic trays till they are big enough to plant.

Comment

I really like the idea of a waterfall.... so we shall see...

~Anthony

Comment

I do this every few months on my ponds. Just did it to the 65 gallon pond the other day. I bought a plastic putty scraper at Home Depot and scraped all the algea off the sides, then sucked all the water out and filled it back up. I plan on doing it again on a smaller scale tonight to get the rest of what I missed. And then doing it to the 150 gallon pond!

-_-

While I'm doing that though, I get to plant some trees and flowers that I bought over the weekend, though been waiting to do it all week!

Comment

Wow that sounds like a lot of work!
                      Gingerone's Tanks:
                      55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4
                      20 Gallon X-High: FW in process of becoming a Riparium
                      Future Proposed Stocking: 15 Coral Red Pencilfish (if my LFS can get them!)

Comment

Ponds are a lot of work, but they are so worth it! I love my ponds.

Comment

I like my algae walls! They are like 2" long, neat effect I think. I just rake all the stuff from the bottom of mine, it probably takes me longer to clean the filter than the actual pond. I've found that being pro-active with a skimming net keeps the worst of it from settling to the bottom.
                          __________________________________________________ _____
                          Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                          110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I try to get stuff out with a skimming net whenever i can, but I just don't know how all the stuff gets in there! There weren't really a whole lot of leaves and sticks, just piles and piles of mush...

Comment

The algea in the 65 gallon pond turns brown and fries after a while lol The pond walls are tan. Supposed to look like rock. I don't really mind the green algea-walls in th 150 gallon pond, but the brown walls in the 65 are ugly LOL

I net gunk out of the ponds on a weekly basis, more or less. I skim all the stuff off the top, then go down and scoop it all off the bottom with an 8 inch net. I usually catch a few fish (or the same fish over and over...) when I do that lol

Comment

Working...
                              X