Raccoons operate machinery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raccoons operate machinery

So, I stepped onto my back porch at 6 am this morning for a smoke and cup of tea and immediately noticed the sound of my pond pump laboring. Still being dark outside I could barely make out the walls of my pond, this struck me as strange because typically the walls of my pond are under WATER! Upon further investigation it was apparent by their myriad little pawprints, raccoons had come to have a go at my goldies once again. This time, however, they dislodged the fountain outflow from its holder which caused it to lean over the rim of the pond, draining all 300+ gallons with the exception of about 4-5 inches. Thank god the inlet was high enough that the fish still had water!

Though this sucks, it could be much worse, my olympian goldies somehow evaded the coons in just the puddle they had! Some of these guys are approaching 10" so thats no small feat. I'm kind of at a loss right now, I didn't plan on doing a 100% water change on the pond. I normally would have set out water to age so in lew of that, I've got just a trickle going in to try and let the water warm a bit as it fills and periodically dosing with some prime, so far so good, I'm on about hour 2 or 3 of refilling, gonna be a long day.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Re: Raccoons operate machinery

Wow, that's crazy! Glad everyone made it. I don't have to deal raccoons, lucky me! Just the occational dog falling in LOL

Comment

That's amazing that your fish survived! I have a friend with a fairly large pond and she had to add wire mesh over the pond to protect the fish.
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

Yeah Akari, its a battle keeping mine out as well, so far so good though, my horse/dog would displace 100 gallons if she got in!

Dena, It seems I'm always trying to balance aesthetics and function, I've battled with herons too at this pond but I just don't want to net it, turns it into an eye sore instead of a beautiful focal point imo. I've added alot of pots and cinder blocks to help give cover so I'm sure that played a part in there escape.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I completely understand. Some nettings are an eyesore while there are some that can blend in a bit better. Everyone has to find what works for them! Maybe you could come up with a coon barrier that could be hidden within the plants?
          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
          Socrates

Comment

Glad to hear your goldies are alright. Adding plants around the pond and even in the pond often repel predators.
            -Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by catsma_97504
              I completely understand. Some nettings are an eyesore while there are some that can blend in a bit better. Everyone has to find what works for them! Maybe you could come up with a coon barrier that could be hidden within the plants?
              I'm going to install a slate overhang at the suggestion of Akari to make it more difficult for critters to get at them and plan on getting a motion activated sprinkler as well, I'm hoping that will be enough *fingers crossed*

Originally posted by RogueAgent94
              Glad to hear your goldies are alright. Adding plants around the pond and even in the pond often repel predators.
              Thanks for the tips! My water lillies made a come back this year so I'm hoping next spring they'll do well, I have some hornwort in the pond aswell though I'm not sure that it will survive the winter. Around its perimeter is maybe 50% open and 50% plants so I could try to fill in a bit more.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I would think that suspending the net an inch or so below water would cover the eyesore part of it, you could use the slate ledges as the pinning source for the net. Glad to hear the fish made it thru ok and non the worse for wear so far.
                -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I had never thought of doing it that way, that a definite possibility. I guess I could just crowd the lillies into a corner and cover everything else.

Fish are all doing great! I don't think ther'll be any losses from the incident. I'm a little over half full 9 hrs later and I think I'm going to shut it off, its supposed to rain this week, I'll let mother nature complete the water change she started.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Originally posted by pirahnah3
                    I would think that suspending the net an inch or so below water would cover the eyesore part of it, you could use the slate ledges as the pinning source for the net. Glad to hear the fish made it thru ok and non the worse for wear so far.
                    Then how would the fish get to the food?
                    -Jonathan

Comment

Sinking pellets? There goldfish they would figure it out lol
                      -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I did just buy 5 pounds of floating pellets. I can imagine how torturous it would be for the gluttons having to wait for them to sink, shoot, they may wreck the net trying to get to it!

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

5 pounds... thats what like a week with those fish? lol

True, but then again it might take you a while to get things drilled and fully mounted and set. There also isnt anything that says you cant only net an open area of the pond and leave a protected side open.
                          -Jim-

Comment

Yeah, its kinda hard explaining to my wife how the goldfish eat more than our child.

I am going to have to have an area unnetted for lillies so I'm sure I could get them their food in that area.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

there fast growing what can you say....

Of course you can always share how the goldfish dont throw their food around the kitchen or anywhere else...
                              -Jim-

Comment

Working...
                              X