My pond is asleep for the winter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My pond is asleep for the winter

Well, it got cold enough that my goldies went into hibernate mode a week or so ago. I was just thinking its wierd for the next 3-4 months they won't eat anything, I'll rarely have to clean the filter if at all, Just break ice a couple times, it just shuts off like a switch. In a way its nice, sometimes it'd be nice if you could just shut off an aquarium for awhile until you have time to clean it, but also kind of like my goldies are going on vacation so I won't see much of them for awhile.

Done rambling.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Re: My pond is asleep for the winter

Kind of bittersweet, huh?
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

I never got to shut down my ponds during winter in India. My RTC were as active as ever trying to catch pigeons lol.
      -Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by catsma_97504
        Kind of bittersweet, huh?
        Exactly Dena! For better or worse I'm a smoker and I sit near the pond when I go outside. All spring/summer I have these beautiful fish to watch swimming around and now its just still as can be no fish in sight.
        Originally posted by RogueAgent94
        I never got to shut down my ponds during winter in India. My RTC were as active as ever trying to catch pigeons lol.
        At least they were eating something nuisance like. Those things are big enough to be eating neighborhood cats!

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Perhaps this gives you a reason to stop smoking

What are RTC?

Comment

Perhaps, I'll get back to you on that.

rtc=Red-Tailed Catfish, at least thats what I assumed he was talking about.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

How long does it take for you to wake up your pond?

Comment

Indeed, I was referring to my ginormous Red Tailed Cats. I often saw them leaping out of the water to catch sparrows and crows. Kinda funny watching them stalk pigeons who liked to drink from the edge of the pond. Thankfully my entire property was fenced so I didn't have to worry about neighborhood dogs getting eaten. But I did loose a deer to those darn fish! They got their own fence after that little incident.
                -Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by AmazonPassion
                  How long does it take for you to wake up your pond?
                  It does it by itself, just like it goes to sleep. Once it gets warm enough I'll start seeing some activity and usually they are ready to be fed before the water is warm enough for them to digest it well.

Originally posted by RogueAgent94
                  Indeed, I was referring to my ginormous Red Tailed Cats. I often saw them leaping out of the water to catch sparrows and crows. Kinda funny watching them stalk pigeons who liked to drink from the edge of the pond. Thankfully my entire property was fenced so I didn't have to worry about neighborhood dogs getting eaten. But I did loose a deer to those darn fish! They got their own fence after that little incident.
                  That makes sense, I picture them in nature in rivers choked on the banks with trees and brush so jumping up would be a good way to get some extra food, but deer?!?!? Jeez, was it a fawn?

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

How big are these fish to take out a deer or a dog?

Comment

No Matt! It was a full grown Nilgai which decided to walk into the water a bit to get a drink apparently. The fish weren't able to eat it but they certainly killed it. It was very messy getting the remains out.

All of my Cats in that pond were upwards of four feet. I think the largest were six feet.
                      -Jonathan

Comment

Good lord! You had a river monsters sized one! That is amazing they killed a deer, keep the kids away ma!

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Indeed I did! They were good at making babies too lol.

I was surprised they managed to do that but they are known to kill buffalo so I guess I should have thought of that. Hehe yeah, my ponds are a no kid allowed zone.
                          -Jonathan

Comment

Geez, If I don't feed my fish they get mad at me! LOL Kind of can't wait for my ponds to go out for the winter lol

Rogue, remind me to never go swimming at your house! O.o

Comment

It has its pros, don't get me wrong! I just miss seeing them swimming around. I'm pretty sure going through this winter period contributes to they're tendency to spawn in the spring though.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                              X