Views:	1
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	141654Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-10.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	141655

Call it a creative take on recycling
    Last edited by cafN8d; 03-20-2013, 08:49 PM.
    Chris (the 'h' is silent)

I like it a lot. Really cool use of neat looking bottles.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Great idea! What is in each of those bottles? Are you concerned the plants will outgrow the bottle or the shrimp will over populate the small space?
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

Are you concerned the plants will outgrow the bottle or the shrimp will over populate the small space?
        Short answer...nope.

I only have 2-3 shrimp in each and I have moved a couple to my aquariums from time to time.
        I just pull out chunks of moss if it gets to thick. I use tongs to pull out stem plants and trim them. It seriously takes less than 5 minutes per bottle per week to keep them ship-shape.

My oldest ones are going on 6 months old.

Comment

Very cool! You should send me one .
          -Jonathan

Comment

Very cool! You should send me one
            Thanks! Then you would be hooked too! (on shrimptainers that is)

I'm up to 6

Comment

Those are awesome looking Chris! Very clean simple look, my wife would be more fond of the hobby if I did more stuff like that.
              __________________________________________________ _____
              Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
              110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

They are very funky and you get to have fun emptying the bottles initially sounds like my kind of project
                Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Those are awesome looking Chris!
                  Thanks. These are literally the only clean thing about my lab/office

and you get to have fun emptying the bottles initially
                  Exactly! Its totally a win-win.

Comment

Do you do anything else to them to maintain or just a trim and ocasionally drop in some food? Im curious about this as there are a TON of places I would love to put these.

Not that I have a shortage of empty bottles around or anything .....
                    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Here's my recipe:

Lots of moss
                      Stem plants, stuff that draws nutrients from the water column instead of roots
                      2-3 shrimp
                      No substrate, but you could try if you like, it just creates an extra layer of drama. That defeats my purpose of being super easy to take care of.
                      I have the ones with stem plants in east facing window sills. The ones with just moss, i seriously just set out on a counter. They get ambient room light from windows and overhead fluorescents...believe it or not, the moss only ones do great like that.

Maintenance

It's easy peezy. My maintenance routine has settled out like this:

I pour off and replace about 1/3 of the water 2x per week.
                      I mix up a gallon of water at a time using prime and I'll use that gallon for the week. Every other week I put a couple of drops of flourish in the gallon.

I feed Hikari shrimp cuisine every day, sometimes substituting a piece of a Hikari bottom feeder wafer.

I trim stem plants as needed, and remove moss if it looks like the shrimp are having a hard time getting around.

I devised a siphon tube using silicon tubing and a more rigid plastic tubing that snuggly fits inside of it. I gently curved the rigid piece to allow me to aim it into corners, etc... I work in a lab so I have access to siphon bulbs, you can get them on amazon or another thing you can do is just put a bunch of the hose in the bottle, plug it off and pull it out until there is enough water in the hose outside the bottle to start the siphon. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Once there is a bunch of detritus you can use the tubing to siphon it out. BUT NOT ALL OF IT! That's where all the BB is.

I've switched to only doing this like once every other week.

The cool thing is, if you collect that detritus, it will insta-cycle your next bottle...good stuff!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21363969338.696395.jpg
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	137807

This is my siphon setup

Comment

What kind of shrimp do you put in? Have you got different kinds?
                          Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
                            What kind of shrimp do you put in? Have you got different kinds?
                            I have cherries, green, CRS, and just got a ghost last week.

If they are in a tequila bottle, are they cocktail shrimp?

Comment

Your syphon looks like the gas tank syphons we sell at my job lol
                              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                              2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
                              1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
                              40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
                              "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X