missing shrimp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing shrimp

I guess he's not missing anymore, since I found his little husk, but I would like to know what caused his demise. Would the corries eat him? I can't imagine the snail would've.
    Robin
    55g, 10g, 5g
    55g and another 10g being planned.

do you have pictures of the husk? he could have just shed his skin and is in hiding... and i am more than sure i missed the last thread... what kind of shrimp was (s)he?
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I bet he just molted. They often lay low afterwards. Come to think of it, if I just slipped out of the entire outer covering of my body like it was a snuggy, I'd hide out for a while too.
      Chris (the 'h' is silent)

Comment

Shrimp hide fir a day or two when the moult. They're very timid until their shell hardens again

Was what u found clear and tissuey? Dead shrimp look like they've been cooked and there's mass to what u find, unlike moults.

I have a ton of moults in my orange tank, I can get a pic if it helps
        36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

A pic would def help or at least a description of what you found, alot of times they look like dead shrimp at first, I remember the first few times my CPO shed I thought it was dead.
          -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
          If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
          Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
          Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366054048.508835.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	138127
            Best molt pic I could take today. It looks like a whole shrimp, but with a spooky ghostly hue.
            Chris (the 'h' is silent)

Comment

That is a true ghost shrimp Chris must be a bit freaky to find molts in the tank
              Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

I thought I killed my brand new shrimp the first time I found one. I was watching the tank like crazy (new babies....it happens), and found the first one prefctly intact, still slightly colored (they turn see thru white within moments of being loose from the shrimp....slightly tinged with color and almost clear as they're dropped). After an evening of panicking, frantic messaging and posting, the conclusion was happy naked shrimp, not dead ones
                36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Not sure if you've resolved the problem by now (I guess my post didn't take yesterday ) but I agree that there's a definite difference between molts and dead shrimp. I still sometimes think that particularly-opaque molts look like dead shrimp, but if you see an ACTUAL dead shrimp, there's no comparison. They're completely white and look like a cooked shrimp. If you're not sure and are feeling particularly bold, you could give it a squeeze; if it's just a molt versus an actual shrimp body it'll be pretty obvious. Then again, a picture might be easier

Google to the rescue! Here are some pictures.

Shrimp molt: http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u.../IMG_4361s.jpg
                  Last edited by catsma_97504; 02-02-2014, 12:25 PM. Reason: Removed broken link

Comment

I am still not able to post pics...technician error. It was his shell complete with legs little horns and feelers. I also found a white slime ball hanging from the wisteria. I have a hard time seeing the ghost shrimp; maybe he was vacuum fodder, but I'm sure I saw him after the last clean. I would like to get some shrimp I can see.
                    Robin
                    55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Ghost shrimp sure do blend in well. Even the molts still have little legs and antennae and such though, so all might not be lost.

Comment

I postponed the water chane do to a fishie death, so I'll pull th ta k apart tomorrow. I probBly squished him.
                        Robin
                        55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

I'm sorry to hear you lost a fish
                          Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Yep, it was a sad thing. I went to Petco for dog food on Saturday, and of course PJ and I ended up looking at fish. He saw this pitiful little shark, whose head was the biggest thing on it's body, so he started quizzing the lady about it. No hospital tank, just let it strave off, so all night into Sumday. Mom you cant let this happen, we have to do something, so we came home with Hidei
                            Robin
                            55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

good luck with him/her
                              -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                              If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                              Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                              Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X