shrimp either molting or dying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shrimp either molting or dying

My last little ghost shrimp is acting funny; I don't know if hes dying or molting. My water tests are fine and everyone else looks good. He's just sort of floundering in one spot and arching his back. What's going on?
    Robin
    55g, 10g, 5g
    55g and another 10g being planned.

Well, the shrimp gave me the answer...dying, so euthanized.
    Robin
    55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

I don't know anything about ghost shrimp. How long do they normally live for?
      __________________________________________________ __________
      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I'm not sure we've had him since January.
        Robin
        55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Seems odd to experience losses after so much time has passed. I'd question if something has accidentally gotten into the tank; or if the substrate has high levels of nitrogen gas trapped or was becoming anaerobic.
          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
          Socrates

Comment

Sorry to hear ZC... I feel terrible because I use ghost shrimp as treats for my fish
            It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
            As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

The substrate is small smooth river rock. I did a water change on Monday with a light vacuum. I added a money wort plant. Ive been feeding the tetra crisps and small hikari bottom feeder disks with an occasional piece of algae wafer. I tried zucchini and carrot but only the 1" BN was interested. My mystery and nerite seem fine as do the corries. I added some prime after testing and will do a water change tomorrow and stir things up. The only othere new thing is I replaced the incandescent with florescent 50/50 white and blue from Petsmart. The plants are still held together with the foam and metal could it be making the water bad.
              The bottom feeder wafers do say there is a copper but its safe as a preservative. Maybe its not so safe.
              Robin
              55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

I also had to feed ghost shrimp to the rhinopias (scorpion fish) at the aquarium, its the circle of life.
                When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

That's okay, Al. I understand the feeding process. PJ was pretty bummed and I just don't like not knowing. So, I did a big water change today, maybe 80% . Really mixed up the river rock and vacuumed the daylights out of it. I took out all ornaments and am going to clean them.
                  Robin
                  55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Working...
                  X