This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide to Sexing Shrimp

Answering the challenge to create an aquatics-related thread!

Some of you are beginners when it comes to shrimp care. How do you tell the difference between a male and a female shrimp? How do you know when a female is ready to mate? What about when she's gravid? That's another word for "pregnant", by the way. I've provided you with a picture by picture comparison so you can identify the sex of your own shrimp.

First up, the Male Shrimp. Males are usually 3/4th (As far as Neocardinias go. Other shrimp, such as Cardinias, their sizes vary) of an inch. The poor boys are both smaller and less colorful than the girls. Another way to identify a male is by his straight belly. As you can see in this Blue Jelly, he has a straight belly.

Now, on to the chicks! Females will reach 1 inch in size. It's a general rule with women worldwide that they must be pretty, and it's no different with shrimp! Females will have more color coverage on their bodies. The most selectively bred ones even reach a fully solid color. As with the male, you can tell the shrimp's gender by the shape of its belly. Her belly will be curved. As seen in this Wild-Type Neocardinia girl as well as Miss Red Cherry Shrimp

How do you know when a shrimpie is ready to mate? The answer is just behind her head is a typically yellow 'saddle'. This will appear when the female is ready to have eggs. In this state, the expectant soon-to-be mothers are called 'Berried'. It's difficult to see in the Red Cherry Shrimp because of the color coverage and the lighting, but she is berried. I've outlined the 'saddle' to make it easier for you to identify.

Finally, it's in this stage that you know your aquatic mom is pregnant. Eggs will appear in her belly! Within a month or so, if you look closely enough to your shrimp's eggs, little tiny eyes will begin to appear in the eggs to indicate that they're very close to hatching. Here's an expecting Yellow Shrimp.

It's as easy as that. Hope you enjoyed this little guide!

Great info to have, thank you. Do you know if this would translate to crayfish, or more specifically dwarf crayfish? All I know of sexing them is checking claspers.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Great guide!! And really nice pictures.
      -Jonathan

Comment

Excellent write up and extremely informative. Stickied worthy.
        Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Thank you!

Sexing crayfish isn't the same. With those, turn them upside-down and look at the last pair of walking legs. If there appears to be small legs between the last pair, then it's a male. If there are none and you notice a hole between the THIRD pair of walking legs, it's a female. Since I don't currently have a crayfish anymore, I can't post pictures unless someone would be willing to provide me theirs.

Comment

Thank you much Zeez, that is the process I am familiar with, I was hoping I could just look at bellies but its not to be.
            __________________________________________________ _____
            Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
            110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

That is a great tutorial. Glad it's stickied.
              __________________________________________________ __________
              Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsbud View Post
                That is a great tutorial. Glad it's stickied.
                It's also an article on the main website I believe

EDIT: Article can be seen here: Guide to Sexing Shrimp
                Last edited by NorthStar; 05-07-2013, 02:12 PM. Reason: added hyperlink
                -Jonathan

Comment

Awesome pictures and write-up! If anyone is curious about the saddle, here is a pretty clear picture of one, from when my RCS weren't very red. (They've since colored up nicely!)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X