feeding newborn shrimp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feeding newborn shrimp

A few days ago my only female blue jelly gave birth to a group of babies!!! (Staring at one now they are sooo tiny!!!) Anyways I bought some of that rapshdy food stuff for shrimp a while back and i placed some in the tank... well turns out my snails love the stuff too because it lasted maybe an hour and I don't think any of the babies ate... what can I feed that the babies and parents should be able to eat before the snails get it first?
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

I'm interested in that as well. I worry that my mts and ramshorns get most of the food before my shrimp do. My red rilis are kind of small still. I've taken to crushing up some different stuff and sprinkling it in the tank in the hopes everyone gets some.

Comment

Glad I am not the only one worried... I was thinking of taking some fish food and sinking shrimp pellets and powderizing it for them.... I have sand in the tank so it should help maybe... but i do have a ton of snails in that tank haha...
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Your baby shrimps will find food either from the pellets you drop or the algae that is growing on the tank walls, gravel, etc... or the the biofilm on the plants. You got to remember when you drop food, tiny little particles are floating around that the shrimplets will find them. All my shrimps get the same food in my shrimp tank and I have one pond snail and gazillion MTS.

If you still have a need to feed the shrimplets, there is a BorneoWild product called BeBe formulated for shrimplets. It is a powdering stuff. Another option is feeding first bites or exactly what you wrote Sean...crushing flakes into a powder.

Comment

I wouldn't worry. Baby shrimps don't need a lot to eat! They'll pick stuff off of plants and such. I don't specifically feed my shrimps. I toss in an extra flake or two and make them sink (they're huge!) And when the cories bulldoze through and break it up, I see them picking at it. Just saw a little baby the other day! Glad to see Igor isn't eating them all

Comment

I don't even see babies in the food area the first week or so, more on the sponge filter nommin bio film. My current orange shrimplets are 9 days old and I saw one on tge food dish the first time yesterday.
            My mystery snail keeps tge blues on their toes at dnner time......violet is a pig and moves pretty quick, hungry shrimp move faster
            36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Yeah but you have a HUGE tank for them lol mines a 3g so i see the babies just about everywhere haha... I know there ia at least 5 that I have seen at once... they grow kinda fast too... its only been 3 days but i swear they have doubled in size :/ and off topic but i have noted only 1 is pure blue the other have red spots in their heads... so I may get my tank of calicos after all feather
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

They blue up over the first 2-3wks....I only have one female that's dropping blue from birth. The only ginger's I ended up with had chrome red patches that never disappeared, but that was only 10% of one moms drop. Ive gotten one other red head from a diff pregnancy out of 6 that are large enough to tell

I think they molt 3 times in the first 10 days, the size change is amazing. If I can get some of the bitties next to some a week old ill try n zoom in a pic......bout triple what they start as, maybe bigger
                36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

I ment adult wise I had one sold blue... all the babies are a reddish color :-) I know it sounds strange but i like the idea of calico colored shrimp... makes me feel unique haha

And yes a picture would be neat! I am excited... I read that in 3 months the are mature enough to start having kids...
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Ur's aren't much older than 3 months....born right round turkey day

Comment

I agree I woudnt worry much on feeding they will get theirs.
                      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Congrats on the new shrimplets. I never directly fed mine. They had to get their own food.
                        -Jonathan

Comment

Congratulations!

If you are worried about feeding your shrimp, try dropping in a pinch of the dry Respashy powder. Only the smallest organisms will have an interest in the fine powder.

But, I agree that shrimp are excellent scavengers.
                          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                          Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by catsma_97504 View Post
                            Congratulations!

If you are worried about feeding your shrimp, try dropping in a pinch of the dry Respashy powder. Only the smallest organisms will have an interest in the fine powder.

But, I agree that shrimp are excellent scavengers.
                            I had no idea you could do that. You learn something new everyday.

Comment

Working...
                            X