breeder boxes or jars?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breeder boxes or jars?

I'm contemplating a sective breeding project with my blue neos. Currently I'm seeing a wide variety of blue color from ice blue to robins egg to electric. The variety makes thevtank really fun, but there's a handful, maybe 10%, with just brillient blue coloring. Id like to try and breed morebof the bright blue.
    I'm guesssing its more recessive than the robins egg (most common), and to get more babies in bright blue I need 2 bright blue parents. Comparing babies of 2 bright oarents shoukd at least give me hint of how the color intensity is being passed.

To seperate the parents I want breeding together ive got a few ideas (and keep my experimentbaby stock seperate)

1 breederbox hanging on the exsiting shrimp tank
    http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Hang-On...ds=breeder+box
    pros: no cycling, running off exsisting system

my concerns with this option: is this enough space for the adults? I can feed the box directly, but will they be ok with that little room?
    Babies might be able to get thru the grate, but I could nylon it.
    Will it work well enough with airline, or need powerhead?

2. gallon jars with sponge filters
    Pros: no thing hanging off my tank indefinatly
    Get to decorate jars a little, homing some of my plant cuttings

Cons: cycling individual sponges (could use exsisting ones),
    temp flux (would be room temp dependent)
    Small water system.....easy to flux and kill off inhabitants

Id love help thinking thru this one.....and input on any experiance with the different ideas
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Go with the jars. That eliminates any chance of contamination by other shrimp.
    Last edited by Dino Claus; 04-13-2013, 03:15 PM.
    The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

I think it's ZeeZ on the other forum has one he uses for his shrimp... He wrote a review about it and besides the pump breaking down and him buying a new one he has had no issues...

I personally say go for the box no cycling needed and less worry about temperatures... And I think the air pump would be enough...
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
      1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
      40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Since I know you have the equipment to make things.

My suggestion is to get a 20 long at the PetCo sale, divide it either 3 or 4 ways with Acrylic panels. Create an underwater gravel filter system so it can go through the length of the fish tank. Then for the top, make a drip system as the outflow from a pvc pipe.
        Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Hmmmm mabye with baby sponges in each compartment rather than an ugf (biased agaisnt them......too many problems in the past)....but I was leaning towards this sort of set as step 2 or 3 whenni need to seperate more generations....few months out. My reef is eating my fishy budget without flinching, so this one might be a bit
          36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

So I'm trying the hanging box for now, the temp swing in the house is just too much until I can come up with a heater for multiple jars. I saw one of the breeder boxes id been looking at online while I was taking shrimp into the lfs and grabbed one. Installed it yesterday, and ive been just watching how it runs. Found 4 week old shrimp and one 2 week old in the box this morning. Turned them loose in the tank. I rubberbanded a piece of nylon over the intake, so well see if I get anymore random addition

Comment

and sucess with the breeder boxes! i havent seperated my super blues yet, but i did use one on my orange tank. i found tiny almost see through shrimplets this morning

Click image for larger version

Name:	orange shrimplets.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	138585

Comment

Congratulations!
                The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

Working...
                X