Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Female orange shrimp having trouble molting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female orange shrimp having trouble molting?

I'm trying to get a good picture, but it keeps hiding from me. I have a female shrimp that is still holding a couple of eggs and it seems she's having a failed molt. For some reason it doesn't make sense to me that she'd be molting while still carrying eggs? She's got that telltale split on her back and it's just getting wider and she's hardly moving. GH is 6 TDS is good. I'm a bit confused.

Any thoughts?

Was a WC recently performed?
    Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

This was the tank I moved my shrimp from one to another. I used the same water, though. Just topped it off at the end with maybe less than half a gallon.

Comment

Strange. Do you have any wood and calcium sources in the tank? I'd change out some of the water too.
        -Jonathan

Comment

I have several pieces of driftwood, but I also add a a calcium/magnesium supplement to the water. I also have a bag of crushed coral in the tank. They've all been doing well until today. I haven't had any deaths that I've seen at least. I pulled her out and she's in a breeder's box with a piece of plant that she's holding onto. She's upside down right now so I can't get a decent picture. I didn't want any snails to get her since she wasn't moving fast.

Comment

Try tossing a shell in with her. That may help.
            -Jonathan

Comment

Shoot! The little sucker died on me this morning. Now I need to isolate why she died to be certain the others don't follow suit. I've got 30+ baby shrimp I'd really like to see grow up. I'm going to try and raise the gh slightly and check ph again later this afternoon.

Comment

I'm sorry. The only thing I could think of is stress related with being moved into a new tank setup.
                Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

sorry. I agree. Probably stress.
                  -Jonathan

Comment

Sorry.

I agree, it sounds like it was stress.

Comment

Working...