Filter for shrimp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter for shrimp

Would something like this work ok in a shrimp tank? I already have one and was going to put it in with my orange shrimp that should get here sometime this week, but didn't know if it would be ok for them and in the future any possible babies. I already use sponge filters in my other shrimp tank and adf tank, but wanted something unobtrusive and quieter since this will be out in the main living area. Gotta make the husband happy if at all possible.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Inter.../dp/B00176GKM8

That would most likely work. I personally use the tom rapids mini canister filter in my 10g shrimp tank. It gets 80gph and is as quiet as canister filters typically are. The flow is strong for shrimp but I just pointed the spray bar backwards towards the glass. Works great!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -Mike

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." - James Dean

Forum Rules

Comment

I use plants and a sponge filter in my RCS tank.
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

Sponge filters are the best for shrimp, IMO. They may not be the most attractive filters but they are inexpensive and effective. There is also no chance for shrimp to get sucked in to them. I see my shrimp eating off of the sponge filters all the time. http://www.amazon.com/ATI-SPONGE-FIL...+sponge+filter All you do is plug it in to an air pump.
        Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

I use a filter like the one cichlid linked... my other shri p tank is NPT with a bubbler to move water a bit :-)
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
          2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
          1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
          40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
          "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I have a Tom mini internal and I love it. I don't use the spray bar though. I isn't use the regular outflow piece.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I'll check into those other options as well.

Comment

How do sponge filters work?

I will edit - is the sponge the outflow or in flow?
                When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Originally posted by Al :D View Post

What do you mean? Sponge filters work differently than filters that are powered by pumps. Air travels up a tube that displaces water. Water is then sucked in through the sponge to fill the void.
                  Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

This a sponge filter. You attach it to an air pump, it sucks things into the sponge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1360967055808.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	137595

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I have seen them in discus tanks before, when you say air pump do you mean 'bubbler'?
                      When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

I have seen them in discus tanks before, when you say air pump do you mean 'bubbler'?
                        Yes.

Comment

Okay, thanks guys, I will do some more research on them as I am thinking of starting a shrimp tank

Comment

The air pump aka bubbler creates suction by displacing water. New water is then moved through the sponge and up into the tubing. With a good air pump enough pull to made that will create water current.

All filters work differently. They can be mechanical, chemical or biological. A sponge filter is biological as it is able to house bacteria. It is also mechanical as the air pump will move the water through it and create current. What a sponge filter cannot do is chemical. It is unable to hold activated carbon, for example. With the light load of a shrimp tank, a sponge filter with a few plants is all that is needed.

Have fun planning and setting up your new shrimp tank!
                            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                            Socrates

Comment

Working...
                            X