The Wonders of Mystery Snails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wonders of Mystery Snails

I've kept Mystery Snails for about a year now thanks to Jonathan and the 35 he shipped

I started out with purples and browns, mostly striped.

Now, the offspring are starting to change colors. The bodies are no longer grey; but now I have some white and even a couple black bodies. And oh my the variety in the shells!!!

I'll have to get some more pictures of them and post. There is always something showing up that catches my eye!
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Ah, such cuties! Great pictures!
    Christine

Comment

Very nice! I wish I could keep Mystery Snails again. Unfortunately all snails, except Burt my blue Ramshorn, die in my new water. The last one is a Blue Mystery! I was working towards those and Jades.
      -Jonathan

Comment

Hmmm, Blue Mystery. I have a few of them now.

Not the greatest, but here are a few pictures of the different colors I am now getting.....

Deep purple, white body

Light purple or pink, white body

Another very light one next to a deep brown (chocolate?)

Cream shell with brown stripes crawling over one of the original snails I received from Jonathan

In checking out the week old clutch I discovered another one just laid. Huge! So, I'll soon have tons again!
        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Pink or purple shells with light foots are Magentas. The other one looks like an olive.
          -Jonathan

Comment

I will try to get better pictures. None of the black bodied ones were out when I was trying to get pictures.
            - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

I like the purple...to bad, i can no longer have snails since I have surplus of Assassins now.

Do you feed them to your Clown Loach?

Comment

Yep. Even the pond snails that got started in my snail tank. Bare bottom, a small piece of driftwood and a few plants and ended up with pond snails. If they weren't so stinking tiny I'd get rid of them all!

Haven't fed any to the Clown Loaches in a long time. And always ones that do not have a coloring that appeals to me. I keep the ones I like so they can breed "good" colors...lol
                - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

You have some very pretty snails Dena I'm hoping I may get some different colours from mine but so far all I see is yellow lol
                  Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Great looking Snails, let us know how the clutch develops
                    Matt

Comment

Thanks all. The first clutch should hatch by next weekend. And the clutch laid yesterday afternoon the following weekend.

Soon as I can get good photos of the dark bodied I will post more photos.

Oh, is there such a thing as an orange body? Don't see that one often, but it is the one that catches my eye.
                      - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Great pics. I love me some mystery snails! I haven't had any clutches yet but I swear I see them doing "it" once in a while so I'm hoping to see some soon!
                        8 GloFish
                        6 Glowlight Tetra
                        1 Dwarf Gourami
                        4 Mystery Snail

Comment

That is great they produce such variety, beautiful!

Can I ask what size, temp, population and filtration your snail tank is?
                          __________________________________________________ _____
                          Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                          110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

You are going to laugh at me Matt!!

My snails are in a bare bottom 12G Eclipse tank. I have covered the intake with an AC110 sponge to increase the bacteria as I don't care for the inserts. And keep the water level down slightly. There is a small piece of driftwood the snails love to crawl up and sit on the highest point like it is a throne. Some java moss and frogbit to help keep the nitrogen levels under control.

I have 3 very large snails from Jonathan. About the size of a golf ball, maybe slightly larger. Lost many when my water became so acidic. Did a water change one day (I do 90%+) and everyone was floating for over a week!! One has developed a wicked deformity where the shell is splitting. Came like this and I've never been able to stop it from progressing. And now the shell grows with the split. Over time I expect the gap to become large enough that the snail won't survive. The other 2 have a ton of shell damage. They almost look like they've been used for target practice.

Right now, I think I have 3 golf ball sized, about a dozen peanut M&M sized, with a handful of smaller ones. And very soon hundreds of babies!!! Oh, and one extremely damaged nerite snail. Don't even know how that guy has survived. His shell is completely cracked in 2 directions. Almost forgot the dozens and dozens of pond snails too.

As I have very soft water I add CaCO3 to their tank; plus I feed fresh veggies to keep up the calcium. And I also give them algae and veggie wafers as well as Repashy.
                            - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by catsma_97504 View Post
                              Oh, is there such a thing as an orange body? Don't see that one often, but it is the one that catches my eye.
                              All of them have orange speckles on their bodies. Some will have so many that they will look all orange.
                              -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X