Clutch hatched...with a little help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch hatched...with a little help.

I'm a bit impatient and had read you can break open a clutch after 9 days, so I did. I was worried it was becoming too dried out anyway and I saw some spots on it the other day so I had a good feeling there were some snails in there. I was right! There are too many to count and some still left in the clutch. I have a purple, magenta and blue, so hopefully these will be some pretty babies!

Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	141610Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	141611Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	141612
    Last edited by amber0107; 03-07-2013, 10:34 AM.

Wow... learn something new everyday... thanks for posting! Keep us up to day! And Congrats!!!
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Yay for new babies! I hope you get a nice little water colored rainbow with all thise babies
      36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Very pretty! I always left mine the whole 16 days. Got more babies out of it that way. They do begin to get really dried out looking at day 7 but then start to turn dark around day 12.
        -Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94 View Post
          Very pretty! I always left mine the whole 16 days. Got more babies out of it that way. They do begin to get really dried out looking at day 7 but then start to turn dark around day 12.
          Patience is not my strong suit. Plus, I'll be gone all weekend and doubt my husband would have checked on things to prevent too much drying or too much moisture.

Comment

Lol I had so many clutches I was used to waiting for them. I wish I could keep Mysteries again! Maybe I'll try with my 10g when I fill it up.
            -Jonathan

Comment

Couldn't you keep some of that poly-filter stuff in your filter to keep any unknown nasties out of the water? Anytime my inverts start acting strange, I throw some of that in the filter and everyone ends up happy again. It's magic.

Comment

Poly filter stuff?

I think it has something to do with my water. I'm not sure exactly what it is but they all seem to die. I only brought like 6 with me when I moved and I had to RAOK most them off so they didn't die.
                -Jonathan

Comment

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4335

It changes colors to let you know what it's taking out of your water. Kinda handy.

Comment

That's really cool lol.
                    -Jonathan

Comment

Congratulations Amber ive just finished putting newly hatched babies in my breeder box although I kinda got one without a lid doh. Baby mysteries are the cutest I can't wait to see what colours you end up with
                      Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Thanks! Me too. I keep checking on them and I've stopped counting because its scaring me now.

Quick question, does anyone have a recommendation for the water hardness for the tank they're in? My purple and magenta snail look great, but my blue hasn't ever looked that well even though they've all been in there the same length of time. I know these babies are gonna need the right stuff for their shell, so I might need to adjust things since they're in my boraras tank and I've always kept that one a bit "softer" than the others for them in particular.

Comment

Babies especially should be kept in harder water. I tried to keep my pH around 7.8-8.0 at least for them. In their grow out tank I had cuttlebones and shells for them to get calcium out of. I also fed lots of zucchini which is full of calciuj.
                          -Jonathan

Comment

My ph stays at a stable 7.0 and the older babies are growing well although as I put them straight in the tank so I don't think as many have survived but there are still a few in there. So far all yellows and two more clutches to go eeeek
                            Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Most of my tanks are at 7.2 for ph, but this one might be a bit lower. I'll have to check. All of my other snails in there look good, but I'll do a bunch of testing tonight to verify everything is where it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X