Mystery noob needs clutch advice :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery noob needs clutch advice :)

Hi all, This clutch is between 1-2 weeks old, I found it during wc last week so it could have been there up to a week prior to me finding it. When I pulled it off of the intake a little crushing happened and there was goo in them so they aren't totally dry but on the outside are as dry as a bone. I'm not sure if I should just leave them or what, here's a picture:

__________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

That's about 1 week. Keep moist and should hatch in another. Many were probably damaged and lost when the goo came out. But I would expect to have a few survivors emerge.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Thanks Dena Before removing it I tried wetting where it was connected to the piping and gently easing it off but it didn't work great. For future reference is there a better way to remove them? Also, when you say keep them moist do you mean keep dripping a bit of water on them every other day or so? They are in an 80F tank with a lid and I put them near the popping bubbles from the airstone but they always look dry to me.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Best way to remove them is with a razor or credit card. I doubt you lost most of the clutch. But definitely the bottom eggs are gone. You can keep it moist by splashing water on it a couple time a day or putting a damp cotton ball over/next to it.
        It still looks pretty healthy! They do get really dry and crusty half way through the incubation.
        -Jonathan

Comment

Thanks Jon Yeah, after the initial bit of breakage I went about it alot more gently. Does it harm them to be in a little standing water? In the picture you can see when I drip water on them the lid holds the water.

That's good to hear! I'm learning as I go so next time at least I won't freak and think they are mummifying! lol!

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Yes, they will die if they are in standing water. They need to be moist. Another way I hatched mine was by taking some cotton, dampening it, and layering the bottom of a tupperware with it. Then I put the clutch on top of the damp cotton and put a clear lid on the tupperware. I let it float in my tank so the clutch was warm and moist without me having to splash it several times a day.
            -Jonathan

Comment

Okay, my wife had some 100% cotton make up remover pads, I got one damp and draped it over them.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

All they need is humidity to stay moist. Every time I've tried to remove the clutch I lost most of it; hopefully you are luckier than I was.
                - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Thanks Dena Cute avatar btw. Prepping for Easter?

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Yeah. Thought now would be a good time to use a picture of Mr Sniffles.

Keep us posted on your clutch progress. My 2nd clutch should hatch in a few days.
                    - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Perfect He reminded me Easter is coming I'll update on this thread and go check out your too, thanks.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

When I checked them this afternoon I found this little guy, when I picked him up I brushed against the clutch and revealed a bunch of other baby snails that look alive and identical to this guy:

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Excellent! I'd use and syringe to squirt water at the clutch so you can get all the babies out.

Babies dry out fast so try to get them in a container soon.
                          -Jonathan

Comment

Thanks! I was going to leave them for the night!

Edir: They're all out, looks like 50 or so I guess, I dropped a piece of zuchinni in the middle of them and shut out the lights.
                            Last edited by Matt B; 03-12-2013, 08:21 PM.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Excellent! Is the clutch empty?
                              -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X