My Baby Mysteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Baby Mysteries

Here are a few pictures of my baby mystery snails. I can already see some are going to be purple and possibly a few magenta and blue. Can't fully tell yet. I have three other clutches that were laid in my tank, but I haven't moved them. I'm leaving them there to see if they'll hatch on their own.

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	141642Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	141643Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	141644

They are so adorable! Apparently my snails have taken a vow of celibacy. I think I'm the only one who hasn't had clutches .
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Thats great! Hope the ones hanging out hatch too!
      36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsbud View Post
        They are so adorable! Apparently my snails have taken a vow of celibacy. I think I'm the only one who hasn't had clutches .
        I had 6 mystery snails last year and none of mine ever laid any clutches. These only started laying when I dropped the water line.

Comment

The water is about an inch below the top. If I have it any lower, I get complaints because of the waterfall noise the one filter makes.
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsbud View Post
            The water is about an inch below the top. If I have it any lower, I get complaints because of the waterfall noise the one filter makes.
            I get complaints like that too. This one is in our guest bedroom so it's not heard as easily.

Comment

yay new snails, glad to see them coming along nicely.
              -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
              If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
              Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
              Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I did a water change last night only to find the snails not moving this morning. They seem irritated with something in the new water, so I'm running carbon in the filter right now and added more prime to see what the issue is. I'm praying I don't lose too many of them. It's very frustrating.

Comment

I hope they are ok Amber my mystery army is unstoppable and have loads of varied sizes.
                  What size are yours now?
                  Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

They're approaching pea size. Some are larger than the others because they hog the food.

I'm quite upset about their behavior this morning. I honestly don't understand how they went from active and healthy to lethargic and half-dead. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Comment

Has anything challenged with your water? Maybe test the tap water to see if it had added ammonia or something that could upset them? What are you feeding them n how often?

Comment

I'll have to test it tonight. It's sad because it was getting a bit dirty on the bottom (no substrate) so I was trying to keep it nice and clean by siphoning out the junk with an airline. I probably did a 50% water change and then they were all messed up this morning.

I feed them VeggieSticks that have added calcium in the morning and then usually one of the repashy's at night. It's always gone by morning. That's what made me pause is when I saw the food untouched in the terracotta bowl. That's not typical for them at all.

Comment

It is strange I moved snailtopia last night and had to do a 50% possibly over water change so it could be lifted and they are fine today scooting about all over which makes me think there may be something different in your water.

Sounds like they have a fantastic diet so nothing wrong there .

Comment

I did a minor water change on my 20 gallon that has my large mystery snails in it and this morning they're closed up in their shells not moving. I threw in a poly filter pad which is supposed to absorb the nasties and even change colors to show you what it's taking out of the water, so maybe it can give me an idea of what's up. I'm not touching my shrimp tanks until I figure out what's going on.

My husband informed me that the heating element in our hot water heater seems to be on its way out and that possibly it might be causing the water issues I'm seeing. Does that make any sense? The poly filter pad I put in my 20 gallon is coming out with a slight orange tint which shows traces of iron or aluminum. He says I should be fine to use the taps from the other side of the house which runs off a different hot water heater, but I'm extremely nervous to do anything right now. Thankfully, my baby mysteries seem to be recovering. They're still sluggish but most are moving around a bit.
                            Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 03-30-2013, 11:29 AM. Reason: Merged posts

Comment

That could be a problem. We have a leak in our well casing so I can't use a ton of water at one time or everything starts to turn colors.
                              Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Working...
                              X