Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping a snail clutch... and care afterwards...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping a snail clutch... and care afterwards...

so a friend on FL made a trade with me late last year... she now has over 200+ baby snails in ALL colors and is planing to send me some of each (yes I am excited) however she also asked if I would like her to send me on of the many clutches as she is starting to destroy them due to having to many... my questions are how does one keep them moist but not to moist during travel and after I get it here how do I go about caring for it so they hatch? my last 5 from my now passed (RIP Doze) snail died on my with no babies...

as much as I like to think of myself as a snail expert i really know nothing about baby care...
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

In not sure maybe pop it in a bag inside a container of water to keep the humidity around the clutch there and drop a few droplets of water in the bag before sending? Or put a piece of moistish kitchen roll in the bag with the clutch and that should keep it moist if the bag is airtight

As for looking after babies my ones in the big tank are free to roam and eat all the algae and left over food they can find. The ones in the now named nursery are currently feeding on carrot and algae that's in the tank my babies are proving to be quite hardy I think it's because they are offspring of Bong defeater of angelfish
    Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

I'll let her know about the shipping method... however its the clutch care i am confused about.. the baby care will be simple since ALL my tanks have large amounts of algae for the various snails
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
      1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
      40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

You can put the clutch in a container and float it in your tank and sprinkle with water every other day hopefully Jonathan will hop by or another who had experience with floating clutches. I just left mine be and they hatched my army is so cute

Comment

I had heard that it can be done but I would bet that Jon knows how to do it and make it work...Where is that crazy guy...
          -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
          If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
          Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
          Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I have been wondering the same thing? Hope he didn't get trapped in his shed

Comment

You people are mean lol.

Here's what you do. You take a small tupperware box and put some damp cotton on the bottom. The cotton should be damp but not soaking. It's a very specific balance lol. What I do is I buy those cotton disks that are pretty flat to start with and then dip them in some warm water. I pull it out, wait for it to drip some, and put it on the bottom of the box. Once the bottom is lined she may want to put some more water in it to make sure the corners have some visible water in them. Wrap the clutch in paper towels and tape it some where in the box so it doesn't move. I taped it on top of the cotton. Check again to make sure there is water in the corners. Put the tupperware in the box and tightly pack newspaper around it. Place a heat pack somewhere right next to the box. Never put the heatpack on the same side of the tupperware as the clutch. Finish insulating the box by putting a styrofoam lid on it and then pack it up and ship. Pretty simple.
              -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
              X