Nerite has a shell issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerite has a shell issue

So, happy anubis but potentially unhappy snail. He's had a defect for a long time, but when he decided to let me see him, I noticed that it was much worse. From what I've read it's probably due to lack of calcium, and for some reason my PH is out of whack. It normally runs 8.0-7.8 but after the trip it was 6.8. I did a 25% change Wednesday night which brought ph up to 7. I'm going to do a thorough vacuum and 50% change on Friday night. Here's a couple of photos. The suggestion I found in a write up was to super glue egg shell pieces to him if it hadn't gone through to the body. So he looks weird, but he's not interested in eating the egg shell I put in the tank. Any suggestions on getting calcium into my snail?
    Robin
    55g, 10g, 5g
    55g and another 10g being planned.

It is carbonate, not calcium, that is needed. With live plants and no CO2(?) carbonates get depleted fairly quickly. This is also why your pH dropped as much as it has. What fertilizers or additives have you used? Gotta be careful that you don't start on that pH swing of it jumping up with water changes and then dropping in a day or two.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

I didn't have the critters sitter dose with liquid co2 while I was gone.....oh my gosh
      Usually I dose every 4- days but always with a water change. I'll fix that ASAP. Thank you thank you. I really love my little guy he turns 4 in a couple of days.
      Robin
      55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

I use root tabs if I have them every 6 weeks or Flourish once a month after my big clean. Generally, I only change 15-20 gallon every week unless the nitrates are way up. I dose with liquid Co2 every 4 days and with a water change. Filters and big vacuum once or twice a month depend on test values. I've never had this happen before. All other parameters are at the usual levels.
        In light of what you said Dena I'm only doing a small vacuum and 10 gallon change plus adding my Co2.Thank you so very much
        Robin
        55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Everyone is still in the 55
          Robin
          55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

I have no idea if snails can utilize liquid CO2 for carbonates. So long as you aren't doing massive water changes, there is no need to cut back. Actually might help to do several water changes through the week, even if as little as 5-10 gallons daily. But, obviously, if there is a lot of debris that needs to be dealt with as the decomposition lowers pH. Flourish Complete does not contain enough carbonate to affect anything going on.
            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
            Socrates

Comment

Thank you very much.
              Robin
              55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Working...
              X