mystery snail with badly broken shell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mystery snail with badly broken shell

my ivory female fell out off of the tank lid today and broke her shell all up. is there any hope for her? it's really bad. shes just sitting on the bottom of the tank not moving. will she survive this and is there anything i can do to help her through this? i dont want to lose her, and i don't want her to suffer. thanks in advance for any help. suzette here is a pic of her.

Last edited by catsma_97504; 05-29-2017, 09:19 PM. Reason: Linked image

ok guys. im trying to post this pic and i can't remember how to post the link. please remind me of how to do it. thanks!

Comment

Just type [IMG] and [/IMG] around the URL....or you can upload the image

As it appears you are using PhotoBucket, it is very easy. Just navigate to the image on PhotoBucket and click the Image link on the right hand side of your screen and paste it here.
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

That is some massive damage to the shell. Make sure your pH is above 7.0 and that your water has plenty of carbonate to support healthy shell growth.

I'm not sure that snail will survive to be honest. There isn't really enough shell to even glue a piece of egg shell to it as a temporary fix. Hopefully someone else will come along with other ideas that might help save it.
        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

thanks for the help with the pic. and yeah, she did die. i feel so bad! i have another question too. i have some of that white shell looking thing that birds use, in the tank and have never seen any of my snails messing with it. that is what i was told to put in there for them to get plenty of calcium for the strong shells. is there something else that i can put in there instead of that, that will actually do some good? these are my first snails and i want them to be happy and healthy. thanks again for the help! i really appreciate it! suzette

Comment

Sorry to hear you weren't able to save her. Yep that works to add carbonate to the tank, but it works best IME in the filter to help dissolve it into the water. Alternately you can purchase organic limestone and add a pinch to your tank. If you go the limestone route make sure you can just your KH and pH to make sure you don't put your inhabitants into shock over a drastic change in parameters.
            - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

ok thank you so much for your help! i wish that i could've saved her, but when i saw how bad the shell was broken, i was afraid that she wouldn't make it. i will put the stuff in the filter and see if that helps, if not i will do the limestone. thanks again! suzette

Comment

Working...
              X