Cross breeding colored snails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross breeding colored snails

If you were to breed a red snail and a blue snail do you get a purple snail? Or do they follow the Neocaridina shrimp rule about not cross breeding the colors because you get a wild typish brown?
    Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Do you mean mystery snails specifically? They definitely don't breed like neos, which is good Talking to someone who's bred a bunch, she had a blue and a magenta and they made a lot of magenta babies. Meaning A) they don't make brown, and B) magenta is dominant over blue They don't make a mix, that would be incomplete dominance (like crossing a white flower and a red flower to get a pink flower. If you got a red and white flower, that would be codominance). I think they follow standard Mendelian inheritance.

Someday when I have a job and more time, I'm TOTALLY doing a huge controlled experiment to determine the inheritance patterns of mystery snail colors.

Comment

That would be very cool zumi!! I started with a group of purple, chocolate and tan mystery snails. And after a year I am starting to get blue gray and jade colors. According to Jonathan my snail's parents included these colors. Strange it took a year of inbreeding to bring it out.
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

Depends on what kind of snail you have. Ramshorn are very complicated IME. Reds usually bred true but blues never breed true. Browns often throw blues but sometimes you'll get a reddish one. Mysteries interesting. What colors will you be working with? Purples carry the Brown gene which is more or less dominant. Blue is one of the more recessive ones so you need to breed a couple generations to see a larger percentage of blues. Magenta is recessive to brown and purple but is dominant over blue IME. Ivory is the same thing. Gold and Brown are pretty much dominant over everything in the first generation but then become less dominant as you keep breeding. AND I'll stop now lol. I could go on forever about Mystery Snail genetics.
        -Jonathan

Comment

Seriously a year before showing?
          It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
          As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
            Seriously a year before showing?
            Me? Yeppers! Jonathan shipped the snails 14 months ago. And I am now getting the gray blues and jades for the first time.
            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
            Socrates

Comment

My original plan was to breed blues and jades but unfortunately I never got that far.
              -Jonathan

Comment

I was thinking of getting two mystery snails (Purple and Blue), but in the off chance they start breeding I didn't want to end up with brown snails.
                Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

I have a female purple, a female blue and a male magenta and I'm mostly getting purples, magentas and a few blues and ivory thrown in the mix. I haven't seen any "brown" coloration or "gold" coloration yet.

Comment

LoL... I couldn't sex a snail... I would love to see what a Jade Snail looks like...
                    It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                    As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by NorthStar View Post
                      I was thinking of getting two mystery snails (Purple and Blue), but in the off chance they start breeding I didn't want to end up with brown snails.
                      Ship the brown ones to me and my assassin snails will enjoy them

Comment

All of mine are yellow some are really vivid I was hoping for some different colours but I'm happy with what I have got. They have been enjoying snailtopia but I think it's nearly time to put in Ezio and Altair I still feel bad but needs must.
                        Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

I fear that I am going to have to get a couple of assassins before too long. The snails are really starting to take over wherever they are. Or maybe I will just get a dwarf puffer. I do have an empty chi tank ..........
                          __________________________________________________ __________
                          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Puffers are so cute Oliver would love some that's my first new project when we have moved
                            Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Working...
                            X