snail advice for a beginner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snail advice for a beginner

So I have some snails coming, three to be exact. I bought them from a friend on FL. I've read quite a bit on line about them, but wanted to ask for your advice. What's the best care for them right after they arrive? How long do they need to be in my quarantine tank?

And a general snail question: my water is very hard. Should I still supplement with calcium?
    Robin
    55g, 10g, 5g
    55g and another 10g being planned.

I personally don't QT mine because fish illnesses don't effect snails and vise versa but do a normal QT period like for fish... 4-6weeks...

Yes I would still feed calcium rich foods and have a cuttlebone for them to munch on whenever just because they are still growing... Your water maybe hard but that doesn't mean it'll contain enough calcium for them to absorb... Better safe than sorry imo...

They may hide away for a few days in their shells but don't freak if on day 7 they are still not moving... If you need added reassurance they aren't dead pick them up and take a wiff... Of you smell raw sewage its dead... However I have learned if you give them 24 hours then add in a fresh veggie (zucchini, spinach, squash, or cucumber) in a few hours everyone's eating... But that's my experience not everyone's is the same...
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

What kind of snails? I doubt you'll need to supplement your water; mine is hard as well and I have many snails that are all doing great. Personally I wouldn't quarantine them; you may choose to do so for peace of mind, but since they're coming from a friend and he/she likely has trustworthy tanks (which I'm guessing you know), and snails aren't susceptible to shipping-related diseases like ich, I wouldn't be too worried. I acclimate mine, but I don't do drip acclimation. I float them in the tank until the temperatures match, then put a turkey-baster-squirt of tank water in the bag every 20 minutes or so. I have seven nerites and originally bought two assassins, and I didn't lose a one.

Due to shipping stress, I wouldn't be surprised/worried if they hang out for awhile without really moving. Mine was pretty stationary for a few days (thinking of my first snail in particular), though some you drop in and they start zooming around right away.

Comment

Thank you, guys. Some folks here have gotten mysteries from her, so I felt comfortable getting them.

How long do you cook your veggies and do they eat leafy veggies raw?
        Robin
        55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

I feed my veggies raw... But some nuke them for 30 seconds in the microwave...
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
          "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

If you have other critters in your tank then you might want to keep them in a breeder's box until they get big enough to fend for themselves. That's what she suggested to me initially. She keeps hers separate from anything else, so they might not handle too much action well at first.

Also, I only worry about my snails if they're hanging out of their shells. That's never a good sign. If they're tightly closed, then just give them time and they'll usually come out of hiding when they're ready.

Comment

Well now it's pretty obvious who we're all talking about I'm getting three from her on Sunday! She lives close to me so we've met up before. Super excited.

Comment

Lol would she happen to have magentas and purples lol...
                2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I hope they are different than Gary, my blue. Shoot I plum forgot to ask her
                  Robin
                  55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

I've found that nuking veggies for 30 seconds in the microwave is actually -way- too long. Cut that in half depending on the thickness of the slice and depending on your microwave. I know it seems like common sense, but don't put steaming hot veggies in your tank lol! I would get impatient and try to pull out the veggies before they'd cool a little and end up burning my fingers.

My snails seem to be doing great, though I don't have mysteries, just ramshorns, nerites, ponds and an assassin and I have hard water as well.
                    ~Erin
                    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                      Lol would she happen to have magentas and purples lol...
                      Assuming we're all talking about the same person, last I talked to her she had quite a surplus as a clutch hatched while she was on a trip for a week. I'm getting three, a magenta and a purple and something else.

Comment

I feed mine raw zucchini I put two slices in the big tank Monday and it has been reduced to the outer skin already

I do systematically take out some babies every now and again and put them in my other tank and they are fine being moved about although I have literally hundreds of mysteries of pretty much all sizes
                        I also also have mts nerites and assassins and wretched pond snails but not too many of those
                        Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Im going to try and keep a close eye for eggs since I don't have another large cycled tank to put them in.
                          Robin
                          55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Originally posted by zombiecat03 View Post
                            Im going to try and keep a close eye for eggs since I don't have another large cycled tank to put them in.
                            You might get lucky....with my first 5 snails I had last year I never had a single clutch. Then I got these three and I've had to start taking down clutches and feeding them to the other fish and snails.

Comment

I have already explained to PJ that we can't keep all the potential babies. He's not a happy camper about doing babies in; I told him we'll try to get the eggs before they become babies.

I think he's just sensitive today because we lost his 'rescue' fishie.
                              Robin
                              55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Working...
                              X