MTS Population Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTS Population Control

So I have A LOT of MTS in my 55 gallon. I think this is mostly because with the Barbs I was overfeeding as it seems they ate everyone's food so fast I was worried the corys and rasboras weren't getting any. Though really, I had a few MTS in the 20 gallon which had pretty much nothing in it (no feeding) and they still bred. Now with the barbs gone I'm hoping I can find a better balance. ANYWHO... I still need to do something with these MTS.

For a while I've wanted/thought about getting an Assassin Snail. Of course since then I have gotten Nerites for part of the Algae crew, and my 4 Mysteries (1 big 3 marble size).

So here are my options... I could put the nerites and Mysteries in my empty 20 gallon and let the Assassin run wild in the 55 gallon tank. Or, if you think it would only go after the bazillion MTS, could I leave them in there?

My friend who is really into loaches thinks I could get some Botia loaches but I'm thinking since they are bigger, they would go after the bigger snails for sure, plus I'd have to get a community of them... and I can just think of better ways to spend my allowable "fish stocking account".

Don't dwarf puffers also eat snails? (So cute but I've only ever seen one in it's own tank at the LFS so I'm wondering if they even get along with other fish)
    Gingerone's Tanks:
    55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4
    20 Gallon X-High: FW in process of becoming a Riparium
    Future Proposed Stocking: 15 Coral Red Pencilfish (if my LFS can get them!)

Puffers for me always died since they are brakkish fish and my water parameters are not suitable... BUT I have to claim ignorance because I didn't know it then... There is another post similar to what you are asking on here too
    It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
    As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

OH! Good to know.

Yeah I thought about hijacking but then I wanted to ask the loach question...
      Gingerone's Tanks:
      55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4

Comment

I think the best would be physical removal and then lessening food sources for them. If I get too many I just siphon out 100 or so and put them in with my B. Kubotai, they love them, I am actually trying to start an mts colony in their tank but they eat them too fast.

Eta: I had a couple full grown mysteries in with them for awhile but they wouldn't leave them alone, they had little halfmoon chunks missing out of them when I took them out!
        Last edited by Matt B; 04-18-2013, 06:55 AM.
        __________________________________________________ _____
        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Both the loaches and the assassin snail will go after -any- snails. Best solution is manual removal or move the snails you want to keep to a different tank and let an assassin run loose.
          ~Erin
          10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

I'm thinking of moving the keeper snails into the 20 gallon... letting the assasin loose in the 55 until they are under control...then switch it up (keeper snails back in 55 gallon, Assassin in 20 gallon... then just transport whatever MTS show up in the 55 gallon to the 20 gallon for "food" for the Assassin)

I like the sand churning the MTS do but right now I just have too many and I need to get it down.

This might sound like a dumb question but what happens with the shells of the MTS that the assassin takes down? Will I have a snail shell graveyard in my tank?
            Gingerone's Tanks:

Comment

I haven't found any bigger shells from the work the assassin did in my 55...but I do find a lot of tiny shells, so I'm honestly not sure.
              ~Erin
              10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Yeah, but they are pretty light when emptied of snails and are easily siphoned, I leave mine to replace the minerals that snail used up, who knows if it works or not though.
                __________________________________________________ _____
                Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                X