Dead Snails?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Snails?

Anthony, do you know much about the snails? 2 of the 3 are definitely dead; their little bodies just sorta fell half out of the shell, the other one doesn't seem to respond. They've all been floating since 3. I know this doesn't belong here, but I'm going to have a hard time sleeping for worrying over them.
    Robin
    55g, 10g, 5g
    55g and another 10g being planned.

Glad I came back on before bed... the 2 that are dead do they have a raw sewage smell to them? If so they are indeed dead... smell the other. Guy just in case... if he isn't dead give him til morning to attempt to come out of his shell and latch on to the glass... remember he was on a 3 day trip in a dark box being tossed about...
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Seems like a lot of the snails that were shipped ended up not doing too well looking at the thread on FL. Oddly, my three came through the ordeal perfectly.
      Gingerone's Tanks:
      55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4
      20 Gallon X-High: FW in process of becoming a Riparium
      Future Proposed Stocking: 15 Coral Red Pencilfish (if my LFS can get them!)

Comment

Awww ZC.... I am no snail expert, but do you recall when my white mystery snail died out of no where? Shipping can be tough... last year for almost 6 months anything that I had ordered or shipped was handled with the worst of care. I sent over a 1000 dollars in trophies to Texas by the time they got them which was overnight delivery they were smashed, bent and broken... even had on the box this way up, fragile, handle with care.... even the post office had stamped e erything fragile.... BUT you can't count on the people who work there to do so. Sadly the packages could of been shook around to the point it killed the little guys, I was fortunate even though my package was like ice...they all made it, I was truly surprised, I thought the tiniest one wouldn't of made it because it was smaller than my daughters pinky toenail...

I guess, you will have to try again, I do NOT think for one moment the shipper had sent anything but the best to everyone... shoot my tiny 3rd one was a surprise because she was only sending me two.
        Last edited by AquaAnt; 04-19-2013, 12:29 PM.
        It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
        As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

It seems from what I have been reading the packages have been mishandled by the courier service. I'm sorry your snails didn't make it

I would definitely try again I would suggest to the sender to make lots of complaints too
          Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

I sent her a note letting her know that I understand it had nothing to do with her. I'm sad for her aswell, these were her babies first. I'm still holding out hope for one. I have allergies right now, so my smeller is way off in left field. The two that I'guessing were dead last night, just fell half way out of their shells when I moved them with my finger. Stuff happens. Pj named them the minute he got home; told him not to do that, so breakfast was sad. Maybe coming over the Rocky mountains, or the temperature once they got over this way. They were very warm; the heat pack was still working.
            Robin
            55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Talked with a friend that got some snails from her... We think we know the issue and why they died...

She told me the kordon bag she got was medium sized and had 2 inches of water... Right there isn't enough water for 3 snails alone...

Also she said the water was 86* so way to hot... Basically cooked the poor things...

So along with bad package handling I say most of these snails don't have much of a chance...
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
              "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I disagree, the snails sent out were small. I've had fish shipped in two inches of water that did fine.

Comment

Idk I'm just tossing out possible reasons... I didn't get any from her so I can't be sure... But the heats got me concerned...
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

It's tricky shipping during this time of year when it's hot some places and cold others, especially with fluctuating night time temps. It's a toss up as to whether to include the heat pack or not. I tend to under-insulate this time of year since snails seem to tolerate a bit colder better than too warm. You do the best you can and hope for the best. Just my opinion.

Comment

Oh definitely. It goes both ways. I shipped a nerite to ZeeZ and even with the heat pack he said the water was cold. The box was punctured and the bag ripped, and the snails weren't even in the water anyways. I doubt the low water was a direct cause though; I received a pair of rams in barely enough water to cover them and they're both still fine.

Comment

Exactly. The snails I received from her months ago were over a week late after the post office shipped them to Texas and then realized the error and re-routed them to me. The water was filthy and VERY cold, but they all survived just fine. It's such a toss-up sometimes. I thought she had done an excellent job packing/shipping them and we were both shocked they had made it alive.

Comment

Well.... its a mystery, that's all we can say.... sad though... again one thing I can say for sure, its not anyone's fault except maybe the post office
                          It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                          As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

She packaged them very well. I believe they were mishandled. The box was fine, or so I thought, upon closer inspection I noticed the corners were crinkled. It is difficult this time of year. The day she shipped it was 68 here, but yesterday it was 85. The heat pack was still warm, so my bet is they got too hot once they got out this way. I also discovered after looking at them this morning, after determining the last one had passed, that 2 of the shells had small cracks in them. My guess is the post office has gorillas handling parcels now. No wonder they're going broke.

Thank you all for your help and input. I can't say I'd know what to do without you all, and I'm being serious with that.
                            Last edited by zombiecat03; 04-19-2013, 04:18 PM.
                            Robin
                            55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Awww sorry none of them made it ZC

Comment

Working...
                              X