Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a proud new owner of mystery snails!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a proud new owner of mystery snails!!

Did some trading I gave her cabomba, dwarf chain swords, Mexican oak leaf, frogbit, a baby java fern, and two zebra nerites. She gave me Brazilian pennywort, a marimo, a bunch of ramshorns (I only get the ones that stay suuuper tiny, but she has the big kind, so I'm hoping I can maintain a stable population in the 55 for the assassins ), anddddd (drumroll) four awesome mystery snails!! Two huge ones, a magenta and a purple, and two marble-sized ones, a purple and a white/ivory (not sure of the technical name ) They're still acclimating but I'll put up some pictures when they're in their respective tanks. The big ones are going in the 20 and the little ones are going in the 10.
    Last edited by catsma_97504; 05-24-2014, 08:22 PM.

Awesome!

Comment

awesome!!!! welcome to the club Zumi!!!!
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
      1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
      40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

That is so cool I wish I lived close to you guys can't wait for pictures
        Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Pictures!! The big ones are both out and about, and the magenta one especially is very inquisitive. You can see in one of the pics that she's trying to climb the tree The little ones aren't as active. Also Boris isn't being very nice I've only seen him nipping at their shells, but I'm afraid he isn't going to be nice enough for them to stay. I'm hoping he'll get used to them once they're there for awhile. He doesn't pay any attention to the MTS or nerites. I've turned the light off and covered the corner with a towel so hopefully he'll behave. I can't keep four in a 20 gallon, so he better be nice!!

They're super awesome I think I might name the magenta one Bertha because she's so big. So she may be Big Bertha
          Attached Files

Comment

Cool! Congrats on the new residents .
            -Jonathan

Comment

Beautiful! I love me some mystery snails! I wish mine would get busy and lay some clutches but it never seems to happen.
              8 GloFish
              6 Glowlight Tetra
              1 Dwarf Gourami
              4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Thanks Rogue! Unfortunately the two smaller once still aren't moving, and now the big magenta one is hanging out in the same spot, with her antennae all tucked up. I hope this is just exploratory nipping and nothing permanent. I can't find the big purple one, but my tank is completely sealed so she's in there somewhere.

Edit: Thanks soarl! I'm hoping mine don't lay too many clutches

Comment

Update: The big magenta one came out of her shell and is moving around a bit. Still can't find the big purple one, which is kind of weird. The little purple one moved a bit, and climbed up on a plant, but the little magenta one hasn't moved. Both small ones are mostly closed up.

Comment

Actually you can keep all 4 in a 20g... who said you couldn't... my general rule is 1 per 5g... just my opinion though...
                    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Very cool looking snails. Hope they get more active for you.
                      __________________________________________________ __________
                      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Me too Lori, thanks

Lol Sean we've discussed our differences before The big magenta is already larger than a golf ball, I can't IMAGINE her in my 5.5 gallon tank. Personally I think two in a 10 is too much, but they're still small. I was only supposed to get three but one hitchhiked If we get internships this summer, in addition to upgrading the 55 to a 120 I wouldn't mind getting another 20 long and dividing it for Vlad and Boris and putting the 10 and 5.5 away. That would be a lot of money though! We're already assuming it'll be about $1000 for the 120; tank, stand, filter, substrate, plants, fish, etc.

Comment

... I had a pair in my 10g and managed to get 5 clutches from them... just saying...
                          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I have two in a ten at the moment I feel like two in a ten is more acceptable than one in a five. I already have problems with crud floating around the 5 gallon, I don't need any extra poop machines helping

Comment

Then you'd hate to see my split betta plans lol... I still vote its fine but to each their own...
                              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Working...
                              X