Snail pile?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snail pile?

The two large mystery snails I received yesterday are often on top of each other, as seen in the picture.

Are mystery snails ever aggressive, or are they merely *ahem* getting friendly? Just wondering if I need to be concerned with separating them. I sure hope not, because my other tanks are too small for such large snails.

Thanks for your snaily wisdom!
    Attached Files

Hehe keep an eye out for clutches!!!
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Ugh already?? They'll be food I guess, I hear fish find clutches to be a delicacy I guess that means I have a male and a female...

Comment

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
        Ugh already?? They'll be food I guess, I hear fish find clutches to be a delicacy I guess that means I have a male and a female...
        Not necessarily. It means you definitely have a male. I had 5 adult mystery snails that used to take turns "riding" on each other but I never had a single clutch at that time.

Comment

Mine do that all the time and I have yet to have a clutch. I think that if you don't leave much room at the top with no water, then they won't.
          __________________________________________________ __________
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

LOL I didn't think about that. Interestingly it seems to be the bigger magenta one that's always err initiating the interactions, but I was told that because the magenta one is so big, it's likely a female as they're usually bigger than males.

I'm glad they're seemingly doing well, but I wish they'd go eat the cucumber I put in there already

Edit: There's very little room at the top; in fact I was thinking I should lower it a little so that they have a little more room to hang out and breathe, without enough room to lay clutches of course.

Comment

LoL.... I recently put the ivory and purple snail in with the magenta.... well my magenta has been following the white one all around and has been hitching rides... I got the same feeling you got and was going to make a thread...lol no need now...you got the same thing going on....
              It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
              As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

I think they may well be saying hello

If a female is ready to lay but can't two things can happen.

1 she will try her best to find a suitable spot which could mean a tank escape which could result in a fall

2 she could become eggbound which will result in losing her

I would lower the water level just to be on the safe side and if you spot any clutches they are easily removed that way it is better for your snailies and you don't get an army of snails
                Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

I didn't know snails could become egg-bound, thanks for letting me know, Sarah! There's definitely 0% chance they can escape. Our tank has a hood that covers the whole top except a slit along the back where the HOB hangs. Then the slit is filled in with a plastic flap, cut by my boyfriend to fit exactly around the HOB. So there's about a cm where the HOB waterfall pours in and that's it. But I don't want any eggbound snails, so next time I fill the tank up I'll leave a gap.

Glad I could help, Anthony

Comment

I didn't know about them getting eggbound either. Now I am wondering if that isn't why I lost some of mine. I feel really guilty now. I keep my tank full just about to the top.
                    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Hmmm I'm wondering if I lost blue because of that now... I didn't know snails became egg bound but now that I think about it if fish, reptiles, and birds can become egg bound why can't snails...
                      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                      2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
                      1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
                      40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
                      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsbud View Post
                        I didn't know about them getting eggbound either. Now I am wondering if that isn't why I lost some of mine. I feel really guilty now. I keep my tank full just about to the top.
                        Don't feel bad, if you didn't know, you didn't know In order for it to be true they would have had to all been female too, which seems like quite a coincidence.

Comment

I had 8 and now I have 3 so it is possible. I put 2 of them in one of the 10G tanks and I am leaving the water level lower in that tank. As soon as I can catch the other one - not that it's too fast, it is just cruising the back of the tank where I can't reach - then it will go into one of the other 10Gs.
                          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsbud View Post
                            As soon as I can catch the other one - not that it's too fast
                            HA! This made me laugh.

I am also wondering if this happened to my big yellow mystery that just died. Guess I'll be lowering the water levels!
                            Gingerone's Tanks:
                            55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4
                            20 Gallon X-High: FW in process of becoming a Riparium
                            Future Proposed Stocking: 15 Coral Red Pencilfish (if my LFS can get them!)

Comment

Sarah, look how many snails you're saving

Comment

Working...
                              X