Snail questions!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snail questions!

Since I am new to the world of mystery snails, rather than post a thread every day asking a question, I figured I'd just post them all in one thread as I think of them. So for you mystery snail experts, please check back every now and then if you can

Today's installment features:

1. Do mystery snails sometimes hide and not move around? Sometimes I'll see mine tuck in their antennae and hang out in one spot. Does that mean someone was nipping at them, or are they just resting?

2. I'm assuming mysteries must produce more slime than nerites, and it's as a result of that, but I frequently notice sand stuck to them. Is that bad?

3. One of the small ones isn't moving around. I set him on top of the cucumber slice, but when the other one crawled (crawled? Is that the right word? Snail-ed?) off of it, it tipped sideways and the not-moving-one rolled off. He half stuck out his antennae, and later pulled them back in, and he's not completely closed up or completely hanging out of his shell, so I know he's still alive. I put a few pieces of algae wafer and shrimp pellet in last night too and he wasn't temped. Is there anything I can do to make him happy? I thought about hiding him under some plants in a dark part of the tank, but the lights turn off at night and that doesn't cause him to move around either so I don't think it would help. The other mystery in that tank is active, so it isn't anything related to the environment.

4. Besides algae wafers, shrimp pellets, cucumber, and zucchini, is there anything else you feed your mysteries?

Thanks for your help, and check back again for the next exciting installment

Hmmm... I throw in algae wafers and not one snail is interested... shoot I don't even see the pleco's or loaches going after the wafers either BUT some of my Angels sure like them.... Honestly I don't do anything special for my snails anymore... I even tried Zucchini, Cucumbers, Minced Lettuce... Nothing BUT Holy Smokes they are getting HUGE now...

Hiding? Sure until they feel like moving... 1 ivory took a few days before it moved anywhere

Sand my Magenta has seemed to put some substrate up into his shell here and there, and in a few days its gone.... no biggie...

All these answers are from a non expert just in case you didnt know lol BUT for me they are effortless in keeping...
    It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
    As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
      Since I am new to the world of mystery snails, rather than post a thread every day asking a question, I figured I'd just post them all in one thread as I think of them. So for you mystery snail experts, please check back every now and then if you can

Today's installment features:

1. Do mystery snails sometimes hide and not move around? Sometimes I'll see mine tuck in their antennae and hang out in one spot. Does that mean someone was nipping at them, or are they just resting?

2. I'm assuming mysteries must produce more slime than nerites, and it's as a result of that, but I frequently notice sand stuck to them. Is that bad?

3. One of the small ones isn't moving around. I set him on top of the cucumber slice, but when the other one crawled (crawled? Is that the right word? Snail-ed?) off of it, it tipped sideways and the not-moving-one rolled off. He half stuck out his antennae, and later pulled them back in, and he's not completely closed up or completely hanging out of his shell, so I know he's still alive. I put a few pieces of algae wafer and shrimp pellet in last night too and he wasn't temped. Is there anything I can do to make him happy? I thought about hiding him under some plants in a dark part of the tank, but the lights turn off at night and that doesn't cause him to move around either so I don't think it would help. The other mystery in that tank is active, so it isn't anything related to the environment.

4. Besides algae wafers, shrimp pellets, cucumber, and zucchini, is there anything else you feed your mysteries?

Thanks for your help, and check back again for the next exciting installment
      Mine get all tucked up sometimes and sometimes for a while I put it down to resting as randomly time later I will spot them snailing about

I would worry about the sand on them they have a bigger footprint that nerites and are usually more active so a little sand goo is normal

Your snails are still adjusting to there new home some closed up behaviour I wouldn't worry about just keep an eye on them. Smaller ones can take longer to adjust. Some snails just have their own pace for example Bing and Bong continually snail about the tank but also like to close up and float about in the filter flow and then randomly absnail back down where as Slug is very lazy and often finds one spot and just stays there for a bit usually by Severus' cave Dimple on the other hand can go into hiding for days in the hygrophila at the back and then suddenly make an appearance again early days yet try not to worry

Food wise mine will eat
      Zucchini
      Pumpkin
      Carrot
      Algae wafers
      Vegetable wafers
      Worm bars they just love these
      Fallen fish food

When I first started feeding zucchini it would take at least a day for them to jump on in the beginning sometimes it would go untouched.

Now I swear they smell it coming and it gets smarmed and is usually devoured within a couple of days

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366700520.719120.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	138220
      Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Thanks for your replies, guys! I didn't know they ate such a variety of vegetables. Do you blanch any of them, Sarah? I feel like a raw carrot would be hard to eat...though they do have little scrapey teeth...and it would keep the water clean at least. Looks like I'll be getting salad fixin's soon and sharing some with the snails

Edit: More questions

1. Vita-chem and Kordon Fish Protector are okay for mysteries, right?

2. I know that purple snails have purple feet with orange speckles, and magenta snails have white feet, but do they have orange speckles too? The one I've been calling a "small magenta" has orange bits on his feet and I'm wondering if maybe he's something else. He's mostly ivory but with magenta stripes. He's still about marble-sized so I'm thinking the colors haven't fully developed yet.
        Last edited by kinezumi89; 04-23-2013, 04:36 AM.

Comment

I never blanch my veggies before I throw them in. Just take them out of the fridge, chop off a slice and toss. I do have to peel mine, though. They will not eat the skin and it is easier to cut it off ahead of time than try to fish it out of the tank later.
          __________________________________________________ __________
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Vita chem and kordon are both safe for snails

Your baby hasn't finished developing its colors I think when they hit quarter size they are done coloring...

And oscar that's funny... Mine eat the skin first then go for the insides...
            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
            2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
            1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
            40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
            "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Well, you've seen the picture of mine wandering around the tank wearing the carrot skin.
              __________________________________________________ __________
              Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

LOL I don't really consider carrots as having distinct skins My BN doesn't eat the cucumber skin but I usually must pick it out later lol. I feel like it helps hold it together and keep it from falling apart, but I could just be imagining it

Comment

Um since we have the same snails... the purple snail with the grey foot will have peachy color pattern on its foot as you already know and so will the magenta...

~Anthony

Comment

I leave my zucchini skins on and the other day one of my snails was crawling in it after the fleshy part had been eaten out of it. Kind of looked like it was in a green hamster wheel! Wish I could have videoed it but just didn't get to the camera quick enough!
                    8 GloFish
                    6 Glowlight Tetra
                    1 Dwarf Gourami
                    4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Anthony - so magenta snails do have orange speckles?

soarl - that sounds hilarious! Hope you can get a video next time

Comment

Yes

~Anthony

Comment

Ooh okay The really big magenta one doesn't seem to have the orange speckles, I'll have to look closer next time.

Comment

They could be softly colored, the larger mine got the less noticeable BUT they are still there

~Anthony

Comment

I usually put carrot sticks in on a meat scewer like a kebab and it usually takes about 3-4 days for it to get munched I don't blanch it I do the same as Lori out of the fridge and straight in it goes.

I'm wanting to try some butternut squash but I haven't found any sliced yet just the whole thing and ollie and I don't like it
                              Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Working...
                              X