New Mysteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mysteries

I was at the walmart today and they had all of their mystery snails on sale. For free. I may or may not have brought 2 home. A gold and a Wild. The gold was already moving around the walmart tank but the wild was just laying there upside down, he didn't smell bad though so I took him. Got home, have them sitting in the tank in the bag, the wild is already moving around as his water warms.

Here are a few questions-

Acclimating, I plan to let the temp acclimate for an hour or so and then maybe do a 2-3 hour acclimation to the water. I do not have a drip set up right now or I would just do that. Any tips for acclimation success. I have had very limited success with apple snails.

Params, Probably not my best idea considering I just moved and I have no clue what my new PH is, but the fish are taking it well and so is my current snail population. Before it was about 6, that was right after I added a bunch of wood. I think it should only be around 6-7 right now. I know some of these guys are florida bred and wild collected but I'm not sure how Ph hardy they are.

Ill get pics up in a few.
    Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 09-27-2013, 09:25 PM.
    My life is chemical. Blood laced with status quo.
    "I am a firm believer that if you love something enough you set it in a small cage and pester and smother it with love until it either loves you back or dies." Mindy Kaling

Congrats on the new snails! Float until temp matches and then put in half a cup of water every 10-15 minutes. Do it until the bag is full, throw away 3/4 of the water and start again. I usually fill the bag two or three times before releasing them.
    -Jonathan

Comment

Thanks. Just put them both in, the wild took off like a rocket, the gold is just sitting there taking its time.
      "I am a firm believer that if you love something enough you set it in a small cage and pester and smother it with love until it either loves you back or dies." Mindy Kaling

Comment

Walmart giving away something for free? That's unheard of... PICS!
        It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
        As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Simply put, walmart has no price for their snails, or at least, mine doesn't. So when I asked for them, the employee was kinda confused and I told him I normally pay 25c a piece for them at the Lfs so he just gave them to me and walked away. Yup. I don't think it's stealing if they arn't product and I wasn't given a price or code, the cashier just put them in a bag.

Pics!

Comment

Awesome! That wild looks like the Chestnuts that I got from my Purple crosses.
            -Jonathan

Comment

Is the one a wild or is it a striped yellow? His foot is black.

Comment

It's defiantly a chestnut.

Here's one of mine
                2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
                1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
                40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
                "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Sweet snail, i agree, looks like a chestnut(the site i go to calls them striped yellows).

Alright, you wanna talk ridiculous snail? Here is a shot of the golden.

Here is a picture of a Quilt next to a fawn.

Here is a picture of the Quilt next to the Golden.

Mr.Quilt! WHY U SO BIG
                  Last edited by NorthStar; 05-07-2013, 10:05 AM. Reason: Merge: Back to Back posting

Comment

Oh wow... Those dudes are huge...
                    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

They are beautiful! I don't think I've ever seen snails at our Wal-Mart. Of course I try to avoid their displays because I feel so bad for everyone inside the tanks.
                      __________________________________________________ __________
                      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Big? Shoot give it a little while...THEN it will be BIG!

~Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                          Big? Shoot give it a little while...THEN it will be BIG!
                          We are referring to the quilt, by apple standard the gold is still a youngin

Comment

As in Apple Snails?

~Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                              As in Apple Snails?
                              Bahaha no he ment mystery snail which is technically an apple
                              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Working...
                              X