Nerites freshwater or saltwater?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerites freshwater or saltwater?

I went to my lfs and asked about nerite snails and the girl told me they were strictly saltwater. I see people of these forums talking about them in their freshwater tanks. Are there 2 different types? Or is she just mis-informed?
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Re: Nerites freshwater or saltwater?

Both, you have to look at how nerites reproduce and it is from brackish to salt and then you can go back to fresh, I do beleive that there are stricktly salt species, but ill just wait for Jon on that one.
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Hi,

There are several types of nerites. Some are strickly saltwater and some are kinda iffy. The kinda iffy ones are found in freshwater and in brackish water. All neritest go down to brackish to breed, if I'm not mistaken.
      -Jonathan

Comment

Thanks guys. I will probably be hitting ebay or aquabid to get some as no one around here gets them in.
        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Goodluck . Make sure it says "freshwater nerite". Stay away from the brightly colored ones like margarita snails. Those are salty.
          -Jonathan

Comment

I have seen so far as fresh water

Olive
            Tiger
            Spotted
            Horned
            -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
            If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
            Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94
              Goodluck . Make sure it says "freshwater nerite". Stay away from the brightly colored ones like margarita snails. Those are salty.
              Sure Rogue, "stay away from the best looking ones" I hate when that happens! If the fish/snail is extremely cool looking and brightly colored It must be saltwater and I can't have it.
              __________________________________________________ _____
              Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
              110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

You could always succumb to the salty side and begin a small salt tank lol.
                -Jonathan

Comment

I'm sure it'll eventually come to that, and I'm sure you'll be there, offering me more and more cool fish.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

:noangel: Eventually!? Can I start now lol?

I have seeded media I could send you.......
                    -Jonathan

Comment

You know I've got an angel problem right now!! I think you just can't help it, you're like Johnny Appleseed but with fish.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Johnny Appleseed?

You know there are lots of SW angels!! Like this gorgeous guy right here (that only gets 4" and can be kept in a nano tank... just sayin')

-Jonathan

Comment

Very beautiful indeed!
                          I've still so much to learn about fw and I prefer to do one thing at a time so I can't switch gears! Also, my angel problem is that I have too many.
                          I've managed to find homes for a couple once they grow up in a couple months but I'm very selective, my buddy is setting up a 120 and he's going to take 2. I'm leveraging my wife to let me get a new tank so I can keep the rest.

You know, Johnny Appleseed? Went all across the country planting apple trees so people could have access to delicous apples? But in your case many, many hard to resist fish.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

That angelfish is gorgeous. I want to have a saltwater tank someday, but first I want to get the point where I'm not second-guessing myself all the time when something happens with the tanks I have now.
                            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

@Matt, hahahaha you can always send me some! Who knows how many tanks I have in storage right now lol. Show your wife some SW tank pictures lol. She'll say to build one then.

@Lori, That day ain't ever gonna come haha. I still second guess myself on everything!
                              -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X