Snails turning white

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snails turning white

I used to have an overabundance of what I called pond snails in my 75G tank, but now it seems I am down to about 8 or so. And they are turning white. They still move around and climb the walls and rocks and seem to eat, but they are white. I took a picture, but I think it is too blurry to tell what type of snail they are. And I am unable to upload the picture anyway. I made the picture small but it tells me that I have exceeded some MB thing (you can tell I am very techy ).

I also have a trapdoor snail and a mystery snail in there and they both are growing and doing great. Is this something I should worry about?
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Re: Snails turning white

Think I found the reason you couldn't add the attachment. Please try again.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your snails.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

With them being smaller snails I would think that things would effect them on a much faster scale than your larger trapdoors and mystery snails... is there anything new you have done to the tank that could have caused like a sudden mini cycle? How is your feeding schedual going for them? Calcium supplements? I can't say for sure what's wrong until your able to upload a picture...

Try loading onto a host site like photobucket or tinypic (I use tinypic the most due to smaller URLs)
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
      1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
      40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

They have been like this for about a week now. I haven't done anything different. There is plenty of algae on the sides of the tank and on the rocks. I also drop a couple of algae wafers every other day and they get either zucchini or cucumber almost daily, although I noticed that nobody ate what I put in there yesterday so I took it out this morning. I don't use calcium supplements. I added a huge piece of grapevine to their tank yesterday, but this is after the fact.

Click image for larger version

Name:	whitesnails.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	137456

This is a kind of blurry picture of what they look like. They actually seem to have stripes.

Thank you Dena for fixing my problem.
        Last edited by oscarsbud; 01-30-2013, 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling
        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I can't really tell Mich from the picture but do they have any holes thin their shells that look like mini craters? If so it really could be a fact of not enough calcium in the water... I noted a while back my snails (rams) were turning white with craters in there shells and after i added a cuttlebone to my filter it seemed to have stopped it almost instantly...
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
          2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
          1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
          40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
          "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Snails turning white

I was thinking calcium deficiency maybe
            Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Re: Snails turning white

So should I buy something like you get for a parakeet and put it in the filter?
              Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Snails turning white

I would just to if nothing else rule it out it is strange that it is only effecting the little snails though

Comment

I know, but now I'm wondering about the big ones as well. All of a sudden my trapdoor doesn't seem to be as yellow as it was before. And I can't find my mystery snail. I hope I am just getting paranoid, but when I go out tomorrow, a stop at the pet store is definitely in order.
                  Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Snails turning white

I hope they are ok Lori I got some more mysteries today and their shells are looking a little worse for wear so they will be feasting on zucchini tonight

Comment

let us know if it helps at all, I do agree it is the only thing I can think of currently, but give my brain some time it might kick out another idea later.
                      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Sounds like calcium deficiency to me as well. Adding some Calcium Carbonate powder could help. Or cuttle bones of course.
                        -Jonathan

Comment

Do you have a GH test kit? Might help you to determine if your tank is losing minerals. Also, check the pH. If it is too low it can erode the shells as well.

When my snail tank lost calcium the smaller ones were affect first. I even had a hard time getting the babies to survive. The smaller ones haven't had enough time to build up a calcium reserve or thicken their shells. But you will see tiny pits in the shells, loss of color, thinning, etc. in the adults once they become affected.
                          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                          Socrates

Comment

I don't have a GH test kit but will pick one up tomorrow when I get the cuttlebone. The pH is really high in my water - runs 7.8 - 8 - so I don't think it is a pH problem. I took the trapdoor snail out of the tank and put him in the big tank with the other snails. After about 1/2 hour in there he was munching away on the cucumber, which he wasn't even touching in the other tank. I still can't find the mystery snail though .
                            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I hope you find him Lori

Comment

Working...
                              X