This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwindling schooling fish?

What do you all do when your schooling fish numbers dwindle to an inadequate number and you no longer want them part of your stock? Do you buy more to keep the school? Rehome? Or just phase them out naturally? This is regarding my Harlequin Rasboraras, well actually all my schooling fish except my Corydoras. Majority of my schooling fish have been with me for a couple of years and I know that their life expectancy is coming to an end. I've bought all of them when they were juvies.

I don't necessary want to rehome them and have them get stressed and possibly die in the process, but at the same time I don't want buy more fish to keep their numbers up so that the older fish has companions. I sort of see my tank as their home and should stay until the end of their life.

5 out of the 8 cories I have died. I'm not purchasing anymore to add to the 3 I have now.

Comment

If I don't want them anymore I either rehome or let them die out on their own. Normally I only rehome to someone who has more of them.
      -Jonathan

Comment

I agree, I usually let nature take its course, or as Jon said rehome to add to another school.
        -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
        If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
        Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I have 1 red serpae tetra I couldn't catch when I rehomed other 6 so I am just letting it live out its life as a loner. Same with my zebra danio. It is the last survivor from a school I had when I first set up the tank and I don't want any more of them. As long as they're not bothering anybody, I'm leaving them be.
          __________________________________________________ __________
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I had one red-eye tetra and I feel a bit bad but I put him in the pond a long time ago, he had permanent fin damage so I couldn't return him and he was a spazz that had been kicking around by himself since I cycled my first tank and he lived through it. I see him a few times over the summer schooling with the goldies but I doubt he is living through this winter. I know, that was mean of me, I just didn't want a school of red'eyes and like so many other newbies, I bought him utterly unaware of anything fishkeeping and I had only a 15g at the time and he was bouncing off the walls.
            __________________________________________________ _____
            Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
            110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

lol watch him be in the pond now for the next 5 years, just to mock you lol.
              -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I would love it if he lived! All summer when I would feed, he was so small compared to the food you would just see this stick of food dive under and swim away! It was so cute! He also would "school" with the goldies, something he wouldn't do when I had attempted to get him more red-eye's as tankmates prior!

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Haha tetras are funny sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if he survived the winter.
                  -Jonathan

Comment

they are tough little fish!
                    -Jim-

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to let them live in my tank until they pass on their own unless I can convince my sister to buy a school of them and I can hand mine over to her.

Comment

I think thats best AP, they have plenty of other small fish about to make them feel more comfortable and lord knows PLENTY of hiding places!!

I'll update everyone this spring if Snaggle Fin (the red eye tetra) is still alive

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Yessss trick the sister into getting small fish!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
                          -Jonathan

Comment

I agree, she NEEDS this kind of fish...
                            -Jim-

Comment

Originally posted by AmazonPassion View Post
                              Yeah, I'm going to let them live in my tank until they pass on their own...
                              That's what I'm doing with my boraras. Mine are slowly dying off and I'm not planning to get anymore. If I find someone with the same types as me, then I might rehome them since I can't seem to find any replacements.

Comment

Working...
                              X