This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is that a fish...in your mailbox?

I have been thinking of trying to order fish/shrimp online, which is apparently the equivalent of saying "I've been thinking of getting one of those cell phone thingies."

I've seen some cool fish on aquabid, and some good online sources of shrimp.

I was hoping you good people would share any tips and or tricks you use for having them delivered and then acclimating them.

Were there things that took you by surprise, like "oh, I wish I had some......right now" or "it would have been so much easier if I had...."?

What should I watch out for, what should I do to prepare, any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Basically, I want to hear the keys for success. And also learn from your mistakes because I'm getting kind of burned out on learning from my own
    Last edited by cafN8d; 03-14-2013, 07:24 PM. Reason: Merged posts.
    Chris (the 'h' is silent)

Originally posted by cafN8d View Post
    So Matt, what is your process for getting the fish from the box into the tank? What steps do you take to acclimate?
    Do you have much dead loss?
    These questions would be great for another thread . Why don't you go ahead and make one?
    -Jonathan

Comment

Why don't you go ahead and make one?
      Just so you know, I heard my bosses voice in my head when I read that

When someone tells you to do it, its so much more like work. hahaha

Comment

So Matt, what is your process for getting the fish from the box into the tank? What steps do you take to acclimate?
        Do you have much dead loss?
        Immediately upon opening the bag I add a drop or two of prime to detox waste built up during transport and then I drip acclimate, I like this gadget because it does both temperature and
        chemical conditions at one time: http://www.amazon.com/Doradon-FA18X-...keywords=fa18x

Out of about 60ish fish so far gotten this way I have lost a big fat ZERO that made it to my house, one shipment got lost in the mail and no fish can survive 4 weeks with the USPS, but the seller was kind enough to replace them

Rae- That does make it difficult, I have taken to having them hold my fish at the PO, that way they aren't bouncing around in an unheated/un-airconditioned jeep all day.
        __________________________________________________ _____
        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Thanks Matt!

Comment

I have ordered shrimp, snails, and newly fish online... must say the best person i have seen on aquabid is thewetspot they are a LPS based in Oregon (I will be ordering my Betta Imbellis from them) I have gotten some snails (ramshorns) in envelopes and everyone was crushed (I was as well) then I have gotten leaking boxes and plants that spoiled and REALLY stunk (smelled like sewage) but those are far and few between... my latest fish should be here soon and its from Rogue...

I have ony ever shipped snails (MTS to be exact) and I do this by placing them in a small plastic container with a lid, tank water, and a few drops of prime and maybe a small plant. I then tape the container like its a mummy then wrap it in bubble wrap and place it inside the shipping container Never lost a snail yet!
            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
            2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
            1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
            40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
            "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Moved your other posts over so you have all your info in one place .

Just so you know, I heard my bosses voice in my head when I read that

When someone tells you to do it, its so much more like work. hahaha
              Lol I'm sorry. Didn't mean it like that.
              -Jonathan

Comment

Never lost a snail yet!
                Guess I know who to talk to for snails!

Comment

I have shipped and received a variety of fish, inverts and plants. If you are dealing with a reputable source, then you won't need to worry about shipments.

When I receive shipments, I open the bags, dump all contents into a bucket, remove a sample to run a few tests, add Prime and begin a drip line to acclimate. Run the pH test while acclimating; and if concerned I will test GH/KH as well. I do this because I have very soft, very low pH water that is also low in TDS. And these differences can be hard on aquatic life to adjust to.
                  - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                  Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                  Socrates

Comment

Thanks, Dena.

Do you need to take the day off and wait for the delivery? I doubt any of the shipping agencies can reliably give you a time for delivery, right?

Comment

No, I don't. I use a PO Box. And my office will drop the package into a locker and place the key in my box. I watch the tracking closely and pick it up after work. A few hours isn't going to make any difference.
                      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                      Socrates

Comment

Here's my procedure for taking fish/inverts out of boxes. I open the box and tilt the styrofoam so some light is let in. 20 minutes or so later I unpack the rest of the box. Letting a little light in first is fairly important (IMO) so you don't stun the fish. Gotta remember that they've been in the dark for two days. Then I take them out of the bag and put them in a bucket with some prime. I start the drip acclimation and allow them to drip acclimate for 2 hours or so depending on how different the pHs are. Then I temp acclimate them and release them into the QT tank. I almost always QT for 2 weeks. I don't feed till the day after they arrive. Best not to foul the water cause usually fish won't eat right out of the box. Even if they do it is often not good for them (IMO).
                        -Jonathan

Comment

Great information, ya'll!

Comment

Do any of you people that sell know if the "hold at post office" costs any extra beyond normal priority/overnight shipping?
                            ~Erin
                            10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Originally posted by Raerianna View Post
                              Do any of you people that sell know if the "hold at post office" costs any extra beyond normal priority/overnight shipping?
                              Nope. It is free as long as your post office can hold things. I would check if your local post has the the ability to hold packages for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X