Craigslist Jeopardizing my Marriage!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigslist Jeopardizing my Marriage!

I was browsing CL today making some calls looking to upgrade my 55g to a 75. Long story short I ended up chatting for about half an hour with the owner of a failed aquarium supply store. Aside from having the 75g I was after for $100, he has a whole garage full of stock from his store to get rid off, everything from canisters to test kits. This could end very, very badly for my wife I think.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Do what I do...hide the stuff. Little by little have out in the open say, "I got that for free, I won that in a contest, I bought it from CL for $10, etc....". I've been dropping hints about a CO2 kit with my partner, leaving reading material on CO2 on the coffee table...currently it is hidden.

The classic line I'm going to use, "I bought it off from CL for dirt cheap...probably going to say $50"

Matt...I say go for it and buy the 150 gallon tank. It's like a 75g tank just a couple more gallons.

Comment

I just can't AP! I have this thing where I have to tell her everything. The best I can do is make amends by promising to not do it again. He has a 90g that would fit but its acrylic He's going to look through his stuff more and get back to me. I gave him my stand dimensions and said "As much water as I can fit on it".

Thats funny about you leaving the paperwork out! I start dropping hints like "Those congo tetras look really cramped in the 55" a couple months prior to making my move. I also try to do it right after I completed some project she wanted done.
      Last edited by Matt B; 03-20-2013, 11:39 AM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B View Post
        I just can't AP! I have this thing where I have to tell her everything. The best I can do is make amends by promising to not do it again. He has a 90g that would fit but its acrylic He's going to look through his stuff more and get back to me. I gave him my stand dimensions and said "As much water as I can fit on it".
        I say you should talk to her first and see if you can do it slowly though... But right now which is more important... You wife or the fish... Now think this through carefully as I know how awesome fish are since they are quiet and don't nag about dishes or the trash being takin out
        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
        2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
        1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
        40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
        "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I start out by mentioning a huge tank which of course gets nixed. Now I am mentioning 20 and 30 gallon sizes which doesn't seem nearly as bad. When I finally get one, it will be the "deal of the century" - no matter what I pay for it.
          __________________________________________________ __________
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I just can't AP! I have this thing where I have to tell her everything.
            I found a loophole in this. Tell her when she is sleeping.

Comment

Haha I love that Oscar haha... My method Is to as forgiveness after I already have the tank though I think I am done with anything over 3gs right now lol
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
              2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
              1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
              40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
              "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

LOL You people are terrible!
                I live alone so I can do whatever I want hahaha.

But definitely go as big as you can! Ooh, all sorts of old stuff eh? You should send me a list and so I can buy some too lol.
                -Jonathan

Comment

Just told her about the tank and kind of nixed it myself. It's all part of my strategy I told her sure, its a perfectly reasonable price for what it is but its not the "can't pass up deal". This way, when he calls me back with some other, larger tank, I can say I can't pass it up. All truthful, and this way I have more credibility when I spring for the larger tank

Nice CJ! Very creative interpretation!

I'll see what he actually has Jon, you know how some people talk big

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Matt will u buy me a big fish tank I will hold on to it for u

Comment

>.> Totally as big as you can hide for a month.
                      ~Erin
                      10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Matt your an adult! (kinda) lol!!

Of course you need compromise and having too many tanks may take too much time away from your family, but if you know what your doing and can give a good balance to both your family and your hobby get whatever size tank you want! I would say the same thing to your wife if she wanted to buy something for her hobby... as long as it's under control do what makes you happy.
                        When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Thanks, I just found a 28" tall 100g that will fit! Talked down from $250 to $150 delivered.

Eta, its a reef ready thats never seen SW.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Oh geez... this thread is amusing... man I would love a 150 that extra 30 gallons makes a HUGE difference
                            It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                            As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Thanks, I just found a 28" tall 100g that will fit! Talked down from $250 to $150 delivered.
                              Woohoo!!!! Congrats Matt What are the dimensions?

Does that mean you will be a Saltie?

Comment

Working...
                              X