This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloe safe for fish?

(I hope this doesn't double-post. I got an error the first time around.)

So: I'm pretty fanatical about washing my hands after handling tank equipment, etc, especially since my platy tanks have a suspected problem with mycobacteria. This means that on tank maintenance day, my hands tend to get washed a LOT. Which means dry skin.

Another of my quirks is that I dislike hand lotions in general (the perfumes make me gag) and I especially dislike the thought of chemicals getting into my tanks from my skin.

(I could get a pair of rubber gloves to wear, but guess what? I hate them, too. I'm a bit picky. Pity my wife; she has a lot to deal with.)

Then it hit me: aloe is a natural (and unscented!) moisturizer that is supposedly used in some water conditioners and other fish tank additives. It's easy and cheap to acquire a virtually limitless supply of 100% pure aloe in the form of potted plants. So I'm thinking, buy a few aloe plants, treat my hands (at least the fingertips, my worst problem areas) with the aloe juice, and don't worry about it if I end up reaching into the tank 5 minutes later because I forgot something.

Thoughts? Is straight aloe juice completely fish-safe, or are there other concerns I should have?
    Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 05-24-2014, 09:52 PM.

~~~The dwarves are coming...~~~

It is used in some water conditioners I think to help with the slime coat. Since it is 100% natural and most of it would already be absorbed by your skin, I think you'd be fine.

Comment

Yes, aloe is safe. Lili is correct in that also is a slime coat aid. The little bit that may be on your hands shouldn't hurt any of your inhabitants.
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

Hmm, cool... *gears turning in head*

Comment

you can buy pure aloe extract from most health stores, just make sure it doesn't have any additives or perfumes.
          My life is chemical. Blood laced with status quo.
          "I am a firm believer that if you love something enough you set it in a small cage and pester and smother it with love until it either loves you back or dies." Mindy Kaling

Comment

Or just get a plant. We've had aloe plants at different times, and they are wonderful for cooking burns...takes the sting right out. Plus the plant looks cool.

Comment

I agree Lili the plant is an awesome thing to have in the house, we have a few in mine just in case. Not only is it a great moisturizer but it is great on sun burns and as mentioned cooking burns.
              -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
              If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
              Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
              Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Thank you for bringing this up Aylad, I consistently forget something and 5 minutes later have to wash lotion off my hands or forget that I have lotion on my hands, reach into the tank and then kick myself. I am getting some aloe or a plant.
                __________________________________________________ _____
                Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Heh! Yeah, I'll probably be buying a few plants in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                  X