really dumb question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really dumb question...

ok so, i just found what appears to be mosquito larva in my little tank where my mystery snails are hatching lol. anyone ever heard of such a thing? i haven't had any problems with mosquitos this year and especially not in my house. i'm very confused by this! it's the tank i took the little cichlids out of to put the baby snails in. it's only been a week or so since i took the cichlids out and i have had the filter running the entire time, so i honestly don't have a clue here, and any help would be greatly appreciated! suzette

First off no question is ever dumb.

As for the possibility of mosquito larva, what is giving you the idea that is what it is? Can you describe what your seeing? Or link a photo of what you have going on?
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Mosquitoes only breed in standing water. With a filter running odds are you are seeing something different. There are a wide variety of critters that can suddenly appear in our tanks. Some beneficial and others detrimental.

If you can get a photo or explain in detail what you're seeing we might be able to help identify what it is.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

- Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

i took a couple of pics but, they aren't very clear at all. and i tried the other day to post a pic and it kept telling me that it was too big and i don't know how to cut the pic down small enough lol. if yall can tell me how to post a pic, i will try my best to get a better, clearer pic of the lil critters. but, to me they look like mosquitos lol. but, it just puzzled me because the filter has been running. i put a couple of cichlid fry in there this morning and doesn't look like they've been able to do much with them. they are pretty small though.

Comment

Hey Suzette! You could be seeing Amphipods or Copepods in your tank.

The best way I've found to post pictures is by uploading them to photobucket and then using their IMG link to copy and past it here.
          -Jonathan

Comment

this is one of the pics of the little critters. it won't let me pos.it more than one link without deleting the first, so i will post the other in another reply.

Comment

here is the other link. what are amphipods and copepods? are they bad for my tank and how do i get of them? thanks, Suzette

Comment

To share an image from PhotoBucket, you need to go to the image and copy the IMG code, usually on the right hand size of the PhotoBucket page. The links you tried to share are not displaying the images you are attempting to share.
                - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                Socrates

Comment

ok, maybe i got it right this time. just wondering what these guys are. my baby cichlids finally did the trick and ate them all. at least all i could see of them. but, i would like to know what they are just in case some show up again.
                  [URL=http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/mysticjeteye/media/0402170123_zpsqqn6r3mc.jpg.html]

Comment

Almost haha. If you're using a computer, it's on the right hand side of the screen and said [IMG]. You just copy and paste that link. It should start and finish with [IMG].
                    -Jonathan

Comment

ok lets try this again lol i deleted everything except what is in between the [IMG] so hopefully it works now.

Comment

I can see it now! What am I looking for again? Hahaha
                        -Jonathan

Comment

lol just a possible id on these little critters. they look like mosquito larva to me. someone said they might be amphipods or copepods. i have no clue what they are. ugly is all i see lol.

Comment

Working...
                          X