Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help identifying male and female Jack Dempsey?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help identifying male and female Jack Dempsey?

hey guys. anyone with JD knowledge, please help with these pics and let me know if this is 2 males or if it's a male and female. they've been locking lips and i'm not sure if they're getting ready to mate or trying to hurt each other. lol i just need to know if they're both males so that i will be able to get one of them out of there if need be. i don't want them to hurt or kill each other. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance, Suzette

The one on the left is definitely male. I'm fairly certain the one on the right is female.
    Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

thanks Cichlidnut. i appreciate it. i sure hope that they are male and female lol i was worried that they were both males and that they were gonna kill each other.

Comment

What size tank are they in?

Comment

75 gallon. i was told that i had 2 females and a male when i bought them. then to me, they started looking like 2 males and a female. so, then i started to worry. they acted crazy for a couple of days, chasing each other around and locking lips, but they've settled down again. so, i'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by mysticjeteye View Post
            75 gallon. i was told that i had 2 females and a male when i bought them. then to me, they started looking like 2 males and a female. so, then i started to worry. they acted crazy for a couple of days, chasing each other around and locking lips, but they've settled down again. so, i'm not sure.
            That's pretty normal Cichlid behavior. Do you have 3 JD's? That increases the chance that two will pair off and pick on the third.

Comment

well, it's funny that you say that. because for the last 3 weeks or so, the one on the right in these pics was acting like it was pairing off with the smaller jd, which i'm sure is a female, and they would chase the guy on the left all over the tank. then all of a sudden, the 2 in the pic started acting kinda cozy and now they both chase the little female around. so, i'm going nuts trying to figure them out. i just don't want any of them to get hurt. but, mostly it's just a little chasing around. these 2 locked lips one time, but that's all of that i've seen. so, not sure which way they're leaning from day to day. so, just watching to make sure i can grab one if i need to and put it in another tank.

Comment

Working...
              X