Question: getting fish in the mail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: getting fish in the mail

I have a question for you seasoned veterans of fish shipping.

I'll be getting some fish in the mail on Thursday. I'll be in class all day, so my parents kindly agreed to pick them up from the post office for me. I brought them a spare 10 gallon and heater, and was planning on having them float the bag(s) in the water so that the fishies stay warm until I am able to pick them up. They'd also put a few drops of Prime in to counteract any ammonia in the bag. They're being overnighted, so the water shouldn't be toooo bad.

However in discussing this idea with a certain member (ahem ahem ) he suggested leaving them in the box, saying that the extra manhandling and exposure to light would be more stressful and detrimental than keeping them warm. What do you all think? Please answer the poll and post accordingly.
    Float them in a tank and add Prime to keep them warm and neutralize any ammonia
    0.00%
    Leave them in the box
    71.43%
    Other (please explain!)
    28.57%

The poll is expired.

If you are going to pick them up right after school, I would leave them in the box. A couple more hours isn't going to hurt them. And this way you can see what condition they're in when the box gets opened.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I am the member I'm sure they have a heatpack with them Zumi, they'll still be warm in the box, and calm
      __________________________________________________ _____
      Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
      110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Lol zumi matt doesn't often give bad advice I was told the same thing by rogue
        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
        2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
        1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
        40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
        "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

What ya getting Zumi?
          Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Well "after school" isn't exactly 3pm My last class ends at 5, then I have to take the train to my apartment (about 30 minutes including walking), then I have to drive to my parents house. It's 45 minutes away with no traffic, but it'll be during rush hour so it'll take about an hour fifteen. I won't have eaten yet, so we'll probably grab a bite then pick up the box and drive home, which will take maybe an hour with decreased traffic. And THEN I can start drip acclimating

Also, I can't see the answers of the poll without voting! I guess I'll vote for option three then

At any rate, sounds like no fishtank it is My parents will be happy haha. My mom doesn't like the 10 gallon on the counter (Luckily they've had fishtanks in the past (SW even!) so they understand at least partially.

And no one knows (except Matt, since I asked him ) so it'll be a secret! I'll make a full thread while they're acclimating. They're a present to me from another member and I am VERY excited. (Okay, I guess two people know then, Matt and the sender )

Comment

I would also say just leave them in the box. I've had fish survive 5 days in the mail before and still be fine right out of the Bo's

Comment

I vote option 3 "Other". Play hookie

Usually fish breeders/sellers have that 2 hour insurance guarantee.
                Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Well my parents will be picking up the box right away. (They're so nice.) I wish I could leave, but my boyfriend and I both have class, and he has a test in a week for the class he'd have to ditch.

So should they open the box gently just to make sure everyone's alive, then close the box again?

Comment

Once its picked up its noted you picked it up so it won't be like you left it sitting at the PO. I would say leave them alone in a quiet area.
                    __________________________________________________ _____
                    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Okay, will do

Comment

Ok ill be patient as long as there are pictures

I've never had fish in the male but it all sounds like sound advice

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
                          Ok ill be patient as long as there are pictures

I've never had fish in the male but it all sounds like sound advice
                          you have never had a Male fish? Mordin must be really confused
                          Last edited by Sean; 03-29-2013, 03:30 PM.
                          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                          "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Lol there's always one I could edit my post but then you would look silly so ill leave it be and you know what I meant Mr Monkey aka Fanbot (you're supposed to be on my side lol)

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
                              Lol there's always one I could edit my post but then you would look silly so ill leave it be and you know what I meant Mr Monkey aka Fanbot (you're supposed to be on my side lol)
                              hehe I am always on your side... specially if I can make fun of it ;D
                              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Working...
                              X