No announcement yet.

things that make you go WTH!?!?!?!?!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• things that make you go WTH!?!?!?!?!?!

So My tank has been a little dingy lately but that is to be expected as I've added a new piece of wood not too long ago. Today i decided to add some carbon to the filter to assist with the removal of the tannis and help polish the water a bit. I could not believe what the inside of my filter looked like! I swear I just tore it down and cleaned it two weeks ago but it looked like at least 2 months of junk in there! I was really quite shocked. Anyone else with similar WTH experiences during their maintenance routines?
    Last edited by RogueAgent94; 04-02-2013, 04:15 PM.
    8 GloFish
    6 Glowlight Tetra
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    4 Mystery Snail

When I first added RCS to my 20 long, I had never had RCS with an HOB filter and didn't realize how easily they would be sucked up the intake. I took out the media to give it a rinse, and found 17 shrimps in the filter housing

Comment

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
      When I first added RCS to my 20 long, I had never had RCS with an HOB filter and didn't realize how easily they would be sucked up the intake. I took out the media to give it a rinse, and found 17 shrimps in the filter housing
      HA...I have found a few tiny pond snails in mine before but I guess it didn't shock me too much. Shrimp on the other hand might be a bit more unexpected!
      8 GloFish
      6 Glowlight Tetra
      1 Dwarf Gourami
      4 Mystery Snail

Comment

I did last time I cleaned the can on my 55G! It doesn't generate alot of debris so I let it go for a long time, I don't know how long, more than 4 months. When I opened it and began working my way down through the media when I got to the first layer of sponge it was so filthy there was a full on colony of mts living in the sponges, I would guess at least 50 or more, I don't know how they never made it to the top and messed up my impeller.
        __________________________________________________ _____
        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B View Post
          I did last time I cleaned the can on my 55G! It doesn't generate alot of debris so I let it go for a long time, I don't know how long, more than 4 months. When I opened it and began working my way down through the media when I got to the first layer of sponge it was so filthy there was a full on colony of mts living in the sponges, I would guess at least 50 or more, I don't know how they never made it to the top and messed up my impeller.
          Don't question it just be happy they didn't
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
          2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
          1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
          40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
          "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I rinse the cartridges in my HOB every time I do a water change. But if I even touch one a couple of days later, the gunk that shoots into the tank is unbelievable. But I have been fortunate and have never found livestock in there.
            __________________________________________________ __________
            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I have lost a couple hobs due to mts getting hungry... But nothing worse than that...
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
              "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsbud View Post
                I rinse the cartridges in my HOB every time I do a water change. But if I even touch one a couple of days later, the gunk that shoots into the tank is unbelievable. But I have been fortunate and have never found livestock in there.
                I do the same but the canister isn't quite that easy. I usually do it about once a month but I think i might have to increase the frequency after today!
                8 GloFish
                6 Glowlight Tetra
                1 Dwarf Gourami
                4 Mystery Snail

Comment

It's been at least a couple of months since I have touched the canisters. I don't even want to think about what they look like.
                  __________________________________________________ __________
                  Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I'm thinking brown and wiggly! lol
                    8 GloFish
                    6 Glowlight Tetra
                    1 Dwarf Gourami
                    4 Mystery Snail

Comment

I hate it when I clean my canister during a water change and then the gunk that was left in the hoses gets shot out into my nice clean aquarium. I say not so nice things when that happens.

Comment

^^^LoL

welp for me its this canister blowing air bubbles.... I dont know what it wants from me... I clean the media except for the obvious.... I have shortened the hoses... I reclean the media.... I tightened the screws... I clean the media again... yet BACK TO BUBBLES WTH MOMENT for Sure.... I will try shortening the hoses even more until there is only enough room to just clip it.... well not that far BUT I will try taking off more...
                        It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                        As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Dumped 3 mts into my 29g that I had gotten from a local person for free...immediately eaten by Ram
                          ~Erin
                          10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Ive found numerous baby bristlenose plecos in my magnum filter.
                            sigpic

Comment

Really... How big is your intake lol... You should get a profiler.sponge or pantyhose for it
                              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Working...
                              X