Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decorating with unmovable fishtanks

Hello

I have some questions that I thought I would ask before starting to paint my flat.

As some may know I have a huge tank that cannot be moved it is closed top but had gaps. The other two are open topped but aren't housing any fish just snails.

I'm a little concerned about paint fumes. We have bought the breath easy kind of paint it says 99% solvent free.

We only live in a one bedroom flat and only have two windows and two doors one set being patio style doors that we can't open as the sofa is in front of them.

We will be starting in the bathroom which has an extractor fan and I'm thinking tape up the gaps on the big tank hood just to be super safe. Would this be ok.

When we do the room that the tanks are in ill be taping and have got some plastic dust sheets so I think this should be ok? I hope so I don't want to hurt my babies and moving the tank or my fish isn't an option.

I'm going to do a water change before I start not a full 50% just a 20-30 as I'm planning on doing another in a day or two I just want to get the decorating done and out of the way.
    Never underestimate the power of a smile

I think I saw something somewhere about wrapping the tank and tape, turning off the air pump, because the building was being sprayed for some kind of bug. They had canisters and HOBs They kept the media wet but turned off the HOB and of course the water changes. I could be wrong on that.
    Robin
    55g, 10g, 5g
    55g and another 10g being planned.

Comment

Do you think I should wait until after I have finished painting the bathroom to do a water change?

I can add some prime to tide them over and put in some vitachem and fish protector

Comment

When we do anything like that, we cover the tanks with plastic and turn off the filters. After we get done we (I ) do a major water change and dose with Prime. The vitachem couldn't hurt.
        __________________________________________________ __________
        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Thank you Lori we have completed the bathroom and water change all done although I did it before doh but I added prime fish protector and vitachem as usual and everyone is well. Apart from Monty being a bratt but I don't think that's down to decorating

When we do the living room I will cover the tanks. I should have only two up by then and they are both covered so it will be easier than the two little ones that are open topped

Comment

Oh thanks for making this thread Sarah I am going to be painting my room green in the next week so this helps le be prepared as my tanks are immobile as well lol...
            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
            2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
            1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
            40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
            "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I have also been told that water based paints are the safest around tanks if that helps too.
              Are you painting your room to match your beautiful little crab?

Comment

Lol now that I think about it it will match her xD it is an avocado green lol
                2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Yay accessorising your room to match your little princess you should do your cupboards to match Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
                    Yay accessorising your room to match your little princess you should do your cupboards to match Steve
                    Lol reddish brown with green speckles lol I think not haha
                    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

It could be a new craze

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
                        It could be a new craze
                        Then you do it so I know what to expect in twenty years lol
                        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Lol you'll have to send me Steve and Emma so I get the colours right

Comment

Do you have a tank setup for them? Lol I have Emma's colors down its Steve that needs to be copied
                            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                              Lol reddish brown with green speckles lol I think not haha
                              A wall with a section of abstract art. It would be awesome.
                              __________________________________________________ __________
                              Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Working...
                              X