Aquatic Names... What A Pain...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquatic Names... What A Pain...

Anyone else tired of seeing the same fishies under a bajillion different names and what's worse is not only the name is different BUT the price is jacked sky high...
    It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
    As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Lol tell me about it... My lfs has 2 angel tanks one is assorted angel 9.99 the other is koi angels 14.99 but in the assortment tank there are kois as well... I know your talking about other fish like cories and Loaches but that's my example...
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

That's why I try to go by scientific names lol!
      -Jonathan

Comment

At work they try to go by scientific names but it just doesn't work, we end up using them for ordering, pricing and documenting which tank they're in. It would be great to get rid of confusion but if you're the only one who knows it, its not very much help. Like if I said to one of the fish bagger's "Can you get me 3 Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus" They would just look at me, though the baggers and the customers and me can all be on the same page if we say "siamese algae eater" or "Flying Fox".

Imo, its kind of like all or nothing, in the case of your average Joe, if you teach him the scientific name for a siamese algae eater he is still going to call it a siamese algae eater.
        __________________________________________________ _____
        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I'm talking about all fish... My gold marble ghost was sold to me as a redheaded koi lol

~Anthony

Comment

Yeah, scientific names wouldn't help much in that case, they're all Pterphyllum Scalare.

Its hard if they're small and haven't turned to tell what they are going to be like, for bigger ones, I trust my inexperienced self more than some lfs personnel to identify them.
            __________________________________________________ _____
            Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
            110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94 View Post
              That's why I try to go by scientific names lol!
              Totally agree. Opps, my degree is showing.
              The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

Yep, I got tired of all the different common names for fish and plants. The same is done with plants, people make up their own names for whatever they were selling to get a premium. Although the scientific names can change just as much depending on the research done. My dwarf chain loaches started as botia sidthimunki, then yasuhikotakia, and now (as of last year) they are part of the ambastaia genus. Being very obsessive about it, I have to know the correct scientific name for anything I have to correctly research it .

Comment

Lol was just at petsmart the scientific name for the rubberlips helped me figure out which kind it was... As o guess one kind gets to like 10" the other maxes out at 4"
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                  "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

It pretty much comes down to greed and laziness. Gee, no surprise there.
                    Which is why the serious hobbyist need to do all they can to combat it.
                    The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

I sell my fish by their scientific name: Treeforkus coolus.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Treefork View Post
                        I sell my fish by their scientific name: Treeforkus coolus.
                        Bahaha I want one!!!
                        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

This is why research is so important. You don't want to end up with an issue down the road. Many labels are regional. Some are blind trust in the distributor.

For example, SAEs are schooling fish and need a large tank; and are good for a community tank. Flying foxes are singular, bicker with its own kind and can become aggressive with others as it ages. They are not the same fish. But as siamesis are considered a buzz word many LFS call all their algae eaters SAEs.

As for mislabeled angel species, that is very common and stems from ignorance for the most part. Usually angels are priced by body size. Most LFS will not carry the newer color strains. And even if they did they would have no clue of the differences between DD Black, Pinoy or Hybrid Black. These guys have very little differences as youngsters.

My Gold Barbs were sold as Metallic Yellow Barbs. It doesn't take much research to figure out.

Any time a new species hits a local store the price will be jacked. Butterfly plecos sold for $15 yet a Hillstream Loach went for half that price. The idea of a uniquely shaped pleco is far more appealing to a semi-ignorant hobbyist.

It all boils down to marketing and demand.

Bottom line it is our responsibility as caretakers to know what we have in our tanks. Scientific names help with different species, but not with color variations of the same fish. Rams are another example of this.
                          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                          Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by Dino Claus View Post
                            It pretty much comes down to greed and laziness. Gee, no surprise there.
                            Which is why the serious hobbyist need to do all they can to combat it.
                            It is unfortunate that many things in life seem to come down to that. That is very true though, there is no substitution for doing thorough research to make a decision. Some published journal articles are very helpful for finding accurate info about some fish and the area they come from. They tend to minimize a fair amount of opinions and misinformation.

Comment

I take this hobby pretty serious... I actually have taken the time to learn about fish of all types BUT this time around... I just had fish together before and thought nothing of it... it was more decor than anything... So learning has its curve because you have to weed through the junk...

~Anthony

Comment

Working...
                              X