Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big tank questions!

Ahoy hoy,

We've been thinking about getting the 120 at Petsmart - I'd rather find something on Craigslist, but because it's taller and shorter than most 120s, it happens to fit in the space where the 55 is now. A few questions:

1. I imagine that thing weighs a freaking ton. Even if my dad helps my boyfriend move it...is it possible for two men to carry a 120? My boyfriend plans to make a cart for it (just for transportation purposes) but there's steps leading down into my apartment (half underground) so some amount of carrying will be inevitable.

2. I'm trying to figure out how many fishies we'd be able to add. I'm not very good at stocking big tanks, since I've never had one The main goal of course is to be able to keep our angels. This is what is in the 55 now:

6 angels
    8 neons
    7 praecox rainbows
    4 platies (trying to get rid of them - take them! please!!)
    1 BN pleco

Would we be able to add more neons, and a few rainbows? We especially love seeing the neons school around the tank, so a big group of those would be fun. I'd like to up the rainbows too, just because I know they'd appreciate a bigger school. So if we had, for example:

6 angels
    12 neons
    10 rainbows
    1 BN pleco

Assuming one of you fine folks takes my platies (cough cough) Could we add another school? I'd like something red/orange...funny enough, when we first set up the tank all we could find was red/orange fish, and I made a thread on FL asking about blue fish. Now all we have is a tank of blue fish!! So once we get rid of the red/orange platies, I'd like a school of warm-colored fish. I really like longfin rosy barbs, and my LFS had some new ones called neon rosy barbs that were really cool. Could we add a school of those? So:

6 angels
    12 neons
    10 rainbows
    6-8 barbs
    1 BN pleco

Or would we only be able to get another school if we left our current schools the way they are?

6 angels
    8 neons
    7 rainbows
    6-8 barbs
    1 BN pleco

I know we don't have any bottom feeders, but I find trying to keep them fed stressful Everyone always eats the food meant for them, even if I feed them at night, and then I always have to worry if they're getting enough food.

I'll use this thread to post more questions as I think of them, so check back!

I would be very carful using only 2 people to move a tank that large.
    The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

When we got our 150, we had to get it up steps into the house and then across the room to where it sits now. We did it ourselves but it wasn't fun. He put a couple of 2 x 8 boards on the steps. Then he took a couple of 4" PVC pipes and put them under the tank. We put a strap across the back of the tank so it wouldn't slide back down the steps and pulled it up that way, continuously pulling out the PVC pipe from the back as the tank went past it and moving it to the front so it would glide continuously. We had our tricky moments but got it in there with no problems. The biggest problem we had was getting it picked up and put on the stand he built. That puppy is heavy.

Good Luck.
      __________________________________________________ __________
      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Lori, that sounds complicated! Dino, we could get more than two people but I wasn't sure if extras would just be in the way more than helping. My boyfriend and I moved everything into our apartment ourselves except the couch, my dad had to help with that. (I'm a strong lady working at an animal hospital helped!)

Comment

Also, measure the width of the door it is going thru.

Comment

It sounds more complicated than it actually was. The worse part (besides picking it up for the stand) was getting it through the door. It was much easier to move around on the pipes. The more people you have, the better off you will be.

__________________________________________________ __________
            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Ohhh I see what you mean now with the picture. Clever! I think my boyfriend is going to get a few 2x4s and wheels and make a rolly-cart for it.

Dino, that's a good point! They're pretty big doors though so I think it'll be okay, but I'll be sure to measure.

Comment

It always was an issue when I was younger, as my parents lived in a trailer, so very narrow doors. Nothing like lifting a 75 thru a window.
                It is also why, the fishhouse has a double French door.

Comment

OK since your contemplating the same tank I got, my female friend and I carried it in from the SUV... 50 feet to the side door up 5 stairs...across the house down to the end of my hall and into my bedroom.

I have:

11 angels
                  14 neon tetras
                  2 cardinal tetras
                  2 kribensis
                  2 hillstream loaches
                  2 rubber lip pieces
                  1 powder blue dwarf gourami
                  1 magenta snail
                  Last edited by AquaAnt; 04-06-2013, 09:24 PM.
                  It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                  As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Dino: I can imagine double french doors help a lot! I confirmed with my boyfriend that our doors won't be a problem.

Anthony: WOW that's a lot of fish! How old are the angels?

I also forgot to mention I have two GBRs Both females.

Comment

Excellent to hear!

Comment

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
                        Dino: I can imagine double french doors help a lot! I confirmed with my boyfriend that our doors won't be a problem.

Anthony: WOW that's a lot of fish! How old are the angels?

I also forgot to mention I have two GBRs Both females.
                        5 are about a year, 3 are about 4-6 months old (2 are redheaded koi's so aging them according to size is difficult), 1 is quarter size now the other a 50 cent piece, 1 is the size of a nickel

4 I've had for almost a year... the gold marble ghost, I bought Large. The rest I bought small pea, nickel or dime size... except my silver gold mix breed, he was a little bigger than a 50 cent piece, what I've noticed no matter what type of Angel they ALL grow at different paces and spurts...

I enjoy my tank a great deal and taking a shot at select breed mixing... I have a 125g I'm going to be setting up splitting it into 4 sections for my new found breeding interest...

Edit: A part of me feels I shouldn't have bought the Large Ghost... it would of been better getting him small...
                        Last edited by AquaAnt; 04-07-2013, 07:55 AM.

~Anthony

Comment

I see, so most of them are still growing. It'll be interesting to see them when they're all full-grown!

Comment

Yes it will BUT what will be just as interesting is to see how yours develop as well... seeing all of them growing in size at different rates :-)

~Anthony

Comment

It will be They're not all quiiiiite the same size though, a couple of them are definitely dimes while the rest seem to be nickels or a bit bigger. So far everyone seems to be getting along and hanging out, though I'm sure that's because they're still babies. I'm guessing they only start bickering once they reach sexual maturity.

Comment

Working...
                              X