Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough 18 hours in aquarium keeping...

So... I a little background.

In the 55 gallon, I've got Hannibal Lector barbs (more on this later... cue the obvious suspense music)

In the 20 gallon I have my pingpong size mystery snail plus the three new marble size that I got from the ROAK on FL (they just arrived this week). So it's kinda been in the works for a while but I decided last night that I needed to finally get rid of the substrate and switch filters on the 20 gallon to get it ready for my awesome future Coral Red Pencilfish.

So I took out the snails and gave them their own bucket with the plants and driftwood from the tank. Emptied the tank, got out 99.5% of the substrate (freaking sand plus small gravel, ugh!) and then put in the new Floralite and water and hooked up the new filter and kept original HOB filter going as well.

SunSun's are cheap yes... but directions are horrible. I had the in in the out... I had no idea what order to put the trays in... (I think I get it now... the water goes from bottom to top in the canister (is this correct?) ... so for about the whole night I had them in the wrong order. Tank is full of some dust and stuff (some from substrate and some probably from the bioballs and stuff I put in the canister, on sale from PetSmart). So that was frustrating and I'm still not sure I have it right. My Fluval 306 cleared up my 55 gallon in about an hour and the canister has been running (albeit in the wrong tray order) since last night and it's still very dusty in there.

Then, since the 20 gallon looks like a bigger mess than I planned I decided to put the mystery snails in the 55 gallon. The little ones are doing great but for some reason my ridiculous Hannibal Lector barbs like to mess with my larger Yellow mystery snail. GAAA!!! Poor thing is all closed up and I fear the worst!

To make matters worse... I have found the smallest tiger barbs in my tank dead one by one over the past few weeks. I can't say for sure but since they don't look diseased or anything and everything else in the tank is fine (corys, Harlequin Rasboras, my 2 remaining Ots... the most fragile fish I own, and BN Pleco), I think my Hannibals have turned into Cannibals.

I'm sick of it. I'm ready to pack them all up and take them to my LFS and just say "HERE"... if they give me a little store credit that would be an added bonus but I can't take it.

Please advise. Both on the canister and the barb situation.
    Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 09-27-2013, 09:22 PM.
    Gingerone's Tanks:
    55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4
    20 Gallon X-High: FW in process of becoming a Riparium
    Future Proposed Stocking: 15 Coral Red Pencilfish (if my LFS can get them!)

Try as much as possible to break up line of sight in the tank. This can reduce the aggression level among barbs and other semi aggressive fish.
    The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

For the SunSun/Aquatops I go: Bottom tray- Coarse sponge or pre-filter media
      Middle tray- Filter floss
      Top tray- Biomedia

You are correct it flows from bottom to top.
      __________________________________________________ _____
      Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
      110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Well... I don't know the fish BUT the name speaks numbers to me... with your canister, try the opposite way you have it ;-)
        It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
        As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

I agree with what was said about the filter. As far as the barbs go, personally I would take them back. Any I have ever had in my tank were nippy, obnoxious little buggers, especially with smaller fish and snails.
          __________________________________________________ __________
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Honestly, I'd take the barbs back myself as well. The only barbs I've never heard of issues with are cherries and pandas...
            ~Erin
            10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Thanks... Will do so tomorrow

Also this tank has tons of plants and hidey spaces so not sure I could break up the line of sight anymore than it is.
              Gingerone's Tanks:
              55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                Well... I don't know the fish BUT the name speaks numbers to me... with your canister, try the opposite way you have it ;-)
                Anthony... They are tiger barbs... Hannibal lector barbs was a joke....
                Gingerone's Tanks:

Comment

Maybe I'll switch to Rams... :P
                  Gingerone's Tanks:

Comment

Originally posted by gingerone View Post
                    Anthony... They are tiger barbs... Hannibal lector barbs was a joke....
                    have you seen my comments on just about every barb... tiger barb, green barbs, cherry barbs...etc etc etc... on top of a bajillion posts of everyone having problems with them... I think few have problems... majority does...

~Anthony

Comment

I'm thinking about getting 6 rams... 2 gold, 2 gbr, 2 ebr

~Anthony

Comment

barbs are quite often called the little barbarions of the fish world, once they figure out their pecking order they will relax into the tank more. I had a tank with about 15 of them at one time and the tanks was QUITE active to say the least for the first few days but after that it calmed down and the fish seemed to fall into a sort of hierarchy of the tank. once that happened things went along smoothly.
                        -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                        If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                        Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I've had these for weeks and months. Last barb addition was 3 weeks ago at least.
                          Gingerone's Tanks:

Comment

Working...
                          X