Probably moving!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably moving!

Long story short, a family friend of over 20 years passed away recently, leaving her 21 year old daughter (my best friend) 4 bed, 2 bath house on 5 acres. Normally, my friend lives up in Tallahassee, going to college, but she dropped her classes about a months ago to come be with her mom. Now that she's passed, my friend needs start thinking about school again.

Normally, leaving the house empty wouldn't be a problem, but she's got two cats. One she is able to bring with her, but the other she can't (the cats don't get along, and they spend time locked up in their rooms while one roams the house). The cat she can't take, because he's a bit troublesome, and doesn't like other cats, has been in and out of shelters his whole life, and she just can't bear to send him back to one. He's very set in his routine, so moving him would be very stressful. But he can't live in that house alone with no human contact.

Then there's our problems: we owe like 4 billion dollars on our little junk house that is falling apart at the seams. Moms working two jobs and I was going to school and working, so we haven't had been home much (other than at night) to do much with it. Moving into the other house would cut our payment in half (500 vs 1000!), we'd be closer to everyone in our family, wouldn't have a water bill (whoo!), and we'd both have the land and house we've wanted for years. Not to mention, the extra income for my friend.

So, here's the fish question! This place floods, like, majorly. The houses are all on stilts for a reason. One year, I remember putting on bathing suits and swimming through the yard! The 3ft deep pool they had at the time was underwater! Good times, those Anyways, what does that mean for my ponds? I mean, BESIDES the fact that the house is surrounded by woods, foxes, coons, cougars, shore birds and birds of prey. I can't keep ordimental pond fish in an area where they might be introduced to the wild. Not in good conscience, anyway.

There is a patio on the house, that i could keep maybe a single stock tank. Mom would understand, I think, once I show my points about why I can't keep them down stairs. But I'd still love to have a pond in the garden at the entry way. It's just a perfect location! Do you think native fish would be ok in there? Tilapia, minnows, etc? I can look around on the Internet and find out what exactly is around, and find out what's appropriate for 150 gallons.

As for the stock tank on the porch, I'd have to rehome some of my babies. They'd go to another friend, though, with a pond. So that'd be ok. And I'll have my tanks still... But I'd get as large a stock tank as I could, 110 gallons atleast.

So anyways, would it be ok for the natives to be in an outdoor pond in an flood area? The house is like a 1/2 mile from any real water source (there is a man made pond on the property, but the river is down the road), so they'd have a way to go to be safe if the pond flooded over... The good news is, though, right across the road is almost always flooded in the summer, so they would have a better chance at finding long term standing water most of the year

And a note, it doesn't flood that bad every year. It's usually only a few inches in the driveway. It all runs down the river and into the well pretty quickly.

Im sorry this is so long! I hope you guys can make sence of it >.<
    Last edited by Akari_32; 04-28-2013, 07:34 AM.

Tough decision, but I would go with the move.
    The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

We are more than likely moving. Moms been saying how she can't wait to not have deal with the neighbors dogs and the people across the street XD Its not entirely up to us, in the end. It's up to my friend. She talked to mom about it, about staying with the cat, and keeping the house up for her. She doesn't want that cat to go back to the shelter, and neither do either of us. She can't find anyone we know willing to take him, either. He's such a lover, and we all love him.

Comment

I also would go with the move. Where my sister lives, she shares a pond with people who keep koi in there. There is no other water source close to there. It does flood occasionally, but the fish have yet to get caught outside their pond area. I think they just follow the water back into the pond as it recedes.

Edited to add: They don't have a problem with the wildlife bothering their fish, but my sister, who keep small ones in her wine barrel garden pond occasionally has to chase herons away and the snakes and frogs really love her little "pond" she has there.
        __________________________________________________ __________
        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Like i said, the end decisision isn't up to us.

I was thinking, though, since it very rarely floods more than a few inches, I could do a net around the pond, like they put around pools to keep kids from falling in. If I did it right, it wouldn't be much of an eye sore. thoughts?

It'd keep the coons out, (hopefully!) and the fish in!

Comment

I think that is an excellent idea. They have a green type netting you could use. And plant flowers in front of it and it will look fine.
            __________________________________________________ __________
            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Also planting iris or other tall plants around the pond would help.
              The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

The garden area is really nice. It's over grown and full of weeds, but the thought is there and it has great potential. The only trouble would be running electric out there in a way that, should it flood, doesn't burn the house down, or short out and have to be replaced regularly LOL If I remember correctly, somewhere in that mass of ferns and bushes is a fence thing. Wires could be run along the top of the fence.... Hmmmmm.....

Comment

Tell us as soon as you know!

Comment

Will do for sure! She doesn't go back up to school till late June, I think, so it may be a while yet.

Comment

Have you thought about putting a perimeter fence made of some kind of netting (plastic, metal..not sure which one) around the pond so when it floods the fishes are blocked by the fence and can't swim anywhere?
                      Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

I'll refer you to post #5

Comment

Originally posted by Akari_32 View Post
                          I'll refer you to post #5
                          Oh...but my concept is different from a pool fence, I am thinking more of pond fence
                          Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

What's the difference?? XD

Comment

If its typically only a few inches maybe building a border wall out of stones or something else natural looking 5-6" high.
                              __________________________________________________ _____
                              Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                              110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                              X