The Snapshot Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Snapshot Thread

I thought I'd create a thread for us so we wouldn't have to make a new thread when we only have one or two or three photos of something neat that we noticed in our tanks. So if you guys have a snapshot you want to share of something aquarium-related, post it here! I think a limit of three photos per post is enough so nobody takes over the thread. If you have more than 3 photos, I suggest making a thread.

For example, here's one I took yesterday of my Tracked Nerite rasping along in my 3 Gallon Beverage Dispenser Tank. I noticed the marks that it had left behind on the acrylic and thought it was neat.

Yay I'm glad the nerite is doing well! Assuming that's the one I sent you, and not another one that replaced it

Comment

She's hard to make out but my clown pleco finally.came out of hiding!!!
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
      1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
      40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

My nerites like to lay eggs everywhere...including on my mystery snails

Sorry the picture is kinda dark, the lights haven't come on yet.
        Attached Files

Comment

That's funny about the Nerite laying eggs on your Mysteries.

And yep, it's the same one you sent me. It's doing great!

Here's a snapshot of one of my Yellow shrimpies in the same tank as the Nerite. I want to put a black sand layer on top of the pool filter sand so the Yellows show up better.

Comment

Woo glad to hear! I want some yellow shrimpies to go in Boris' tank. I'd have to test him with some RCS to see if he'd behave though.

Comment

Oh no! We're being invaded by the Red Army!

Comment

Lol I love that picture
                Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

I've been constantly battling green water in my 3 Gallon Beverage Dispenser tank. I gave up trying to change out the water because that only worked for a short time before it was back so I finally decided to cut down the hours but first I'd do a blackout for a week starting yesterday.

Much to my surprise, the shrimp came out of the Dwarf Chain Swords and hung out near the top. Yes, those are Dwarf Chain Swords. Not Vals. One other thing also surprised me: the planaria and the other white wriggling worm things that congegrate at the top of the container and wriggle through the water, whatever they are, came out in force. I took this opportunity to get a paper towel and wipe off the top part and got most of the worms out. On the paper towel they looked slightly reddish. Similar to bloodworms. I'm going to keep doing this every time I see them massing up there.

And the Yellows... there must be at least between fifty and a hundred in there. Looks like I have more to sell than I originally thought.

EDIT: Looked up the worms and apparently they're nematodes.

Last edited by ZeeZ; 07-20-2013, 04:00 PM.

Comment

It's probably because in the absence of light plants take up oxygen. So maybe use an air stone next time

Comment

Ah, good idea. Didn't know that. Should I put in an airstone?

EDIT: I noticed a few young baby shrimp appearing to be dying (turning white) and an ampiphod was at the surface, nonresponsive until I plucked it out then it moved.

I changed out a little over a gallon of water with fresh water and turned the light back on. I don't want to lose any shrimp. The water was also starting to smell.
                      Last edited by ZeeZ; 07-20-2013, 04:30 PM.

Comment

I think it's fine as long as you don't do any more blackouts, because when the lights are on the plants are producing oxygen, and little shrimps aren't very demanding.

Comment

I believe you forgot a word there zumi.....when there is no light plants consume oxygen and release carbon dioxide. This may have depleted the tank of enough oxygen, hence everyone is hanging around the top.

If you haven't already given it a shot, I'd do daily water changes with a max of 6 hours of light...and add an airstone to bring up the oxygen levels.

Is this container dirted? What are the current parameters?
                          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                          Socrates

Comment

Looks like Darcy found a new sleeping spot
                            Attached Files
                            3 Oranda Goldfish: Hedwig, Pigwidgeon and Hufflepuff
                            1 Blue VT Betta: Fawkes
                            1 Tiger Oscar: Nemo
                            Planted 10g with 1 Sunset Gourami and a school of pygmy corydoras

Comment

Cute photo, goldie!

Originally posted by catsma_97504 View Post
                              I believe you forgot a word there zumi.....when there is no light plants consume oxygen and release carbon dioxide. This may have depleted the tank of enough oxygen, hence everyone is hanging around the top.

If you haven't already given it a shot, I'd do daily water changes with a max of 6 hours of light...and add an airstone to bring up the oxygen levels.

Is this container dirted? What are the current parameters?
                              I had cut down the lighting for about a week down to about 8 hours. I'll try the 6 hour period and add an airstone. I may have to tie a small knot in the airline to keep the water from being jostled too much because it's rated for a 10g, not a 3 gallon.

Yes, it's dirtied. Parameters -

pH - 7.2
                              Ammonia - 0
                              Nitrite - 0
                              Nitrate - 0

I thought the nitrate reading might be mistaken but I double checked and it's at 0. No wonder the Dwarf Sags beat out the other high-light plants. They're nitrate eating machines. I found four dead baby shrimp at the edge of the container where I could see them but there's no telling how many more are dead in the center where I can't see anything. The majority of the shrimp appear to have survived fine, along with the amphipods. The planaria worms appear to have taken heavy casualities and the nematode worms even worse. Not that I'm complaining.

I read about another method to clear green water: cut a small living limb/branch of a willow tree and stick it into the water for about a week. It'll develop roots and clear up the water in about a week. I think I may go that way instead of the airstone and cutting down the light hours...

Comment

Working...
                              X