Well, I tried...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I tried...

I stopped at Pet Supermarket for crickets and plants today, and of course had to take a peek at the fish. I then spotted an Oranda, a rather large one, a little bit smaller than Bruce, with a horrible wound to his face. Just over 1/3 of his wen was ripped off, showing cartilage and what I can only assume was brain underneath. Fish a quarter of his size were ripping at his scales and fins as he laid on his side in the gravel.

I talked to the girl that got me the crickets about him, and she then went and got the manager. The manager is a real nice lady and let me just take him in the end. On the car ride home, I got the tank situation figured out, and figured it was best to put him in a small, cycled tank rather than an uncycled 10 gallon with seeded media. So my plan was to move Kai (a betta) and his buddies to the 50 gallon, move my other betta to Kai's tank, and give the new guy the 6 gallon until he started moving around and feeling better.

I got home, and took him out of the bag, to start floating him and getting the tanks ready, but the poor dude had passed. I feel horrible that it was in a small bag, getting sloshed around on a car ride, and that had he made it through he could have had a great life, but at the same time, he isn't suffering anymore.

I buried him under the rose bush, next to Lady Swimmy McNibblekins. I was going to take pictures to show progress of his improvement over the time in my care, but since he didn't make it, I didn't want him to be rembered all tore up.

RIP little guy.
    Last edited by Akari_32; 05-07-2013, 03:54 PM.

What a bummer. At least you were going to give him a chance.
    8 GloFish
    6 Glowlight Tetra
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Yeah... I flat out told the girls that no body would buy him. The manager said she didn't even think he'd make it through the night. We all tried giving him a shot. They wished him luck.

Comment

Well you tried to give him a better home more than anyone else would of done.
        Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Aww that's a bummer. If he had a chance with anyone, it was definitely with you. It sounds like he was probably already on his way out, so he probably didn't sense too much on the car ride home.

Comment

It's cool you have people like that at your lfs! It's also cool you'd give him a shot.
            8 GloFish
            6 Glowlight Tetra
            1 Dwarf Gourami
            4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Originally posted by NorthStar View Post
              Well you tried to give him a better home more than anyone else would of done.
              Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
              Aww that's a bummer. If he had a chance with anyone, it was definitely with you. It sounds like he was probably already on his way out, so he probably didn't sense too much on the car ride home.
              Thanks guys.

Maybe he didn't, who knows. He was unresponsive to the other fish biting at him, and to the manager sticking her hand in the tank to shoo the naughty ones away.

Originally posted by soarl View Post
              It's cool you have people like that at your lfs! It's also cool you'd give him a shot.
              Its a chain. Most of them are like that. I've gotten a few discounted or free fish that were "damaged" (no eye, for example). Very few people will buy a fish that has something wrong with it. A plus for me

Comment

Well you gave him a chance that no one else would have. Sorry he didnt make it to having a great time in the ponds.
                -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Sometimes chains are all we have for a LFS!
                  8 GloFish
                  6 Glowlight Tetra
                  1 Dwarf Gourami
                  4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Not so "local" lol

Comment

I am honored to know someone who cares for the suffering of "lesser" creatures among us.
                      The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

Thank you, Dino. I do my best.

Comment

That was an honorable thing for you to do Akari

Comment

Thanks Tigress ^///^

Comment

I agree.

There are only a few people who I know who would have had any chance at all at healing that fish if he had lived and you're one of them. At the very least, he wasn't sent down the toilet and got a proper burial.

Comment

Working...
                              X