Species about to go extinct :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Species about to go extinct :(

Very sad to read that there are only 3 males of this cichlid species left in this world. If no female can be found the species will go extinct soon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22468206
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Sounds similar to what is going on with the wild swordtails. Large mouth bass were introduced to all of Mexico's major rivers and now the small native fish are going extinct.
    The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

Ugh..gotta love mankind
      It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
      As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

That's awful

Comment

Last female was killed by one of the last males. The Darwin award goes to... The species that literally finished itself off.
          sigpic

Comment

should see the corals list that is extinct but still very popular in the hobby. Only places alot of coral is even alive are in peoples tanks.
            -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
            If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
            Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I am not surprised at all, Jim. There are several species of livebearer that are extinct in the wild, but still in the hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Treefork View Post
                Last female was killed by one of the last males. The Darwin award goes to... The species that literally finished itself off.
                Yeah, when I read that my first thought was if they bothered to introduce them or simply dropped the female into the male's tank/territory. Could have been the human that caused the loss of the female. And why not intervene as she was the last of the species? Really made me scratch my head.
                - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                Socrates

Comment

So sad .
                  __________________________________________________ __________
                  Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

That is a shame. I remember reading that mammals require approximately 200 individuals to maintain a sustainable population and avoid inbreeding. I wonder how it is with fish or if these guys are already more or less extinct already.
                    __________________________________________________ _____
                    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

It is the same. Even with careful records of their genetic relationship, you are still going to have recessive genes start showing up, when you have too few individuals. And many recesives are not beneficial.

As well, when all the individuals of a species are very similar genetically, it is easier for there to be a disease that can wipe the species out, as their resistance would be the same.
                      Last edited by Dino Claus; 05-12-2013, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X