This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping fish using USPS

Is it necessary to write "Live Fish" on the box?

I called the USPS inquiring about ship to hold for pickup option and asked if there were any limitations/restrictions about shipping fish and I found out that you can't ship goldfish to Illinois from California but all other fish you can.

Edit: Also found out that Express isn't always 24 hour ship. So weird.

Re: Shipping fish using USPS

I don't know anybody that writes live fish on their boxes. I have the post office stamp liquid and Fragile on my boxes.

When shipping to me, you won't need to have them hold the package.
    Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

All the package I've gotten through USPS have "Live Fish" written on the boxes except the Endlers from you.

Comment

I always just write Fragile and This End Up on all the sides, and an appropriately placed arrow where needed.

Comment

The postal guidelines state that you must declare the package contains liquids. I write LIQUID and LIVE AQUARIA on the packages I ship; but all that must be stated is LIQUID.
          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
          Socrates

Comment

From my experience, it is best not to write LIVE or LIVE FISH on the box. They'll question you forever on it depending on the clerk. Also, after the clerk has put the box on the truck, USPS boxes aren't touched by living people until they arrive at the destination post office. It was described to me as a bunch of assembly lines with the boxes going down the line and then dumped on top of one another into a shipping container. Course, this is probably exaggerated but I know from experience that writing "FRAGILE" doesn't do much treatment wise.
            -Jonathan

Comment

I never go into the post office. I hate dealing with them! Instead I print labels from the internet, save money, and simply drop off the packages on their collection dock. Much easier for me as I have far too many issues with my local services.

You are correct in that fragile, this end up, etc only pertains to the final delivery as everything is automated these days.
              - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
              Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
              Socrates

Comment

Yup Liquid is the only requirement, thou Usually I will write WATER on the box as well. Not that it helps much im sure but hey I tried.

The only garuntee anymore in shipping in 24 hours is either a private courier, UPS or FEDEX.
                -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Update:

I doubled bagged using Gordon Breather, styrofoam lined box, drop of prime, threw in a heat pack drove to the Post Office also the main sorting facility in Los Angeles County and I was told that I can't ship "Live Fish" from my county that it was illegal. I replied that people do it all the time, and the only people that can do are the ones who have a permit.

This is hard to believe, I've also told them that I called a USPS rep and the only restriction to shipping to Illinois was "Goldfish" and they replied that it is a new ordinance for my county. I drove to the second post office and the same response.

Comment

Wow, that really sucks. When I tell my USPS people what I have, they get excited and treat my package with great care.

Comment

What really sucks is that I used 4 Breather bags, the first attempt I used to much water and it wouldn't fit in the box.

I don't remember voting on this ordinance and I vote every single time.

The ironic thing is that I used the ballot measures as stuffing for this box, go figure.

Comment

I must say, I'm glad I don't live in CA. Are you banned from shipping fish with Fedex and UPS?

Comment

Originally posted by Cichlidnut
                          I must say, I'm glad I don't live in CA. Are you banned from shipping fish with Fedex and UPS?
                          I'm looking into this route at the moment.

Comment

Just tell them it isn't fish. I do it all the time. If they ask why is the package perishable or liquid say that there are aquatic plants. In my case, there usually are because I like to add free jungle vals to most of my boxes.
                            -Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94
                              Just tell them it isn't fish. I do it all the time. If they ask why is the package perishable or liquid say that there are aquatic plants. In my case, there usually are because I like to add free jungle vals to most of my boxes.
                              I told the clerk, supervisor and mgr on duty that people send fish all the time through this facility. They replied that any fish they find (inspected) automatically gets destroyed.

I don't want to be the rare case where they inspect my box and they kill my fish.

I should of never put "Live Fish, Fragile, and Liquid" on the box.

Comment

Working...
                              X