Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a check in (with a problem of course)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a check in (with a problem of course)

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm still on the forum. I've been extremely busy with school and band and haven't had time to get involved in the forum. I still read everyone's chit chat though I'm hoping to start getting more involved again now that football is soon over.

I did have a problem while I was gone.... I woke up Saturday morning to go hunting and when I go down the stairs, I see water on the floor. I walk into the fish room to see my 110g Discus tank with about 6 inches of water left and the water was literally POURING out. I successfully transferred the fish over to the 55g and they are doing great.

This tank was resealed about 3-4 months ago when I got it. I looked really closely at it and saw that the silicone really shrank since it was sealed. I don't know why it did that. I used regular 100% silicone and let it cure and dry for a week before putting water in the tank. Anyone have any advise?

Re: Just a check in (with a problem of course)

What brand did you use?
    Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

Wow! Glad you caught it before all the water was gone and you lost the discus!

If the silicone had no additives, not sure what to say....or recommend. When I resealed my 125G I let the tank sit dry for 3 days. Then I filled the tank with water for a week to check for leaks. Drained it and then moved it to its permanent location. My tank has been running for over a year with no issues.

Maybe there was an air bubble or something in one of the seams that broke free?
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

Glad you caught it in time, sorry bout the mess thou. I'm not sure what could have caused that shrinkage other than a massive temperature change while you were doing the reseal
        -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
        If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
        Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I don't know what brand it was. I think Dapp or GE?

Comment

Well hopefully was just a slight prep problem and you will have it back to normal soon
            -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
            If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
            Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

This is my greatest fear that my tanks will leak overnight or when I'm not around.

Comment

Working...
              X