This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch your power strips!

Well tonight I found out that one of my GFCI power strips does work. I was attempting to fill all my tanks with water before the upcoming storm so that I didnt have to worry about them at all and accidentally over filled the lower 20gal on the stand. I tossed some towels down (as I have them nearby from frequently dripping watter trying to get buckets under the lip of the stand) and suddnely hear a pop and all the light for the top tank and some of the filters and power heads went off. Confused I pulled everything out of the wall outlets that they were plugged into and realized that the tank was still overflowing. OOOPS I put about 2-3 gallons too much in the tank lol. Well after sopping up the mess on the floor I realized that like most people my power strips are under my tank, I drip loop the lines as they come out of the tank so that isnt a concern, what I hadnt planned for was the water draining from the top edge of the tank directly onto the power strips, YIKES!

Things are dried off and back to standard operation now but just a note, might want to think about where you put power strips, Mine were under the tank due to the fact that these are in a semi high traffic area and I didnt want the strips out in the open. Well, now they are going to get wall mounted next to the stand when the stand moves, but for now they are getting zip tied to the stand itself. Glad the equipment did its job thou.

GFCI near water is something I cannot stress enough. Please double check what you are using for equipment around your tanks and ensure it can handle where it is. If this had been something else things could have been alot worse.
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Re: Watch your power strips!

Thanks for the reminder! I too struggle with placement of the power strips. Like you, they are mostly under the tank stands. My biggest frustration lies in the fact that most of my home electrical is not ground properly (house is 50 years old and was built by a carpenter for his wife). I have replaced most of the outlets with those that have built in breakers.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

oh the fun of electrical........im not going there tonight lol
      -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Close call! Great topic to remind people about imo. For mine, I buy some of that semi permanent double sided tape and attach them to the underside of the stand facing the floor. This way, everything naturally has a drip loop and water would have to defy physics to get to the strip.
        __________________________________________________ _____
        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

actually getting the water to chase a solid surface is relitively easy, althou getting it to do it a few times over to get into the strip is a good trick. I like the idea, thou I think getting under this tank would be tough as its only about 3 inches off the floor (its a double tank stand)
          -Jim-

Comment

I'm used to all my stands having a lip so theres no way it could round the lip and go vertical to get to the strip but otherwise I see what you're saying about surface tension drawing it along. Yeah, 3" doesn't leave much room for anything.
            __________________________________________________ _____
            Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
            110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

the strips with the plugs in just barely fit under it lol.
              -Jim-

Comment

Being an electrician i have all my plugs in a surge strip that plugs into a single outlet with a drip loop. My sugre strips are secured to the underbelly or sides of my stands
                The only stupid question is the question not asked. Don't judge a book by it's cover,book covers exist,. An eye for an eye makes the world go blind but only evil eyes are blind. St Louis Cardinals champions of the world 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011 World series losses 2004 1987 1985 1968 1943 1930

Comment

Working...
                X