This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does daily WC hurt BB

Does daily water changes hurt beneficial bacteria or starve them? I am asking this because by doing daily WC doesn't it take their food supply?

Re: Does daily WC hurt BB

Makes sense from a logical standpoint. Unless the tank is producing them at such a rate it doesn't matter.
    8 GloFish
    6 Glowlight Tetra
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    4 Mystery Snail

Comment

I've never thought of that. I guess it doesn't since people do water changes all the time.

But if you think about it, you'd never know. By doing daily water changes there's no need for BB.

Comment

I've never had adverse affects from doing daily waterchanges. On my fry tanks I would do two 100% waterchanges every day and they were fine. But the tank still had to be cycled first. I tried it once in a 40g uncycled tank and I lost a bunch of fry.
        -Jonathan

Comment

Here's my take on this subject.....

We all know that an uncycled tank will lead to any number of issues from the nitrogen buildup. We also know that once the BB has established itself that the colony will only grow to the size required to process the amount of waste being created by the plants and inhabitants. Add more fish the colony grows, rehome a fish and the colony will shrink.

So, based on the fact that the colony grows to the size needed, daily water changes would allow the colony to be smaller or put less of a demand on it; however, the colony is still required to stabilize the tank overall. Switch to weekly water changes and the colony will grow, same as if you have added new inhabitants.

An established BB colony is constantly in flux. I think of it as another creature living in the aquarium itself.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on this subject.
          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
          Socrates

Comment

I agree with Dena on this one.
            -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
            If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
            Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Just to be clear, I didn't mean that NO bacteria was needed, I just meant that with daily water changes, the bacteria doesn't need to work as much (not as much needed)

Comment

That would be true, it would depend on how much water you were changing daily as well. If you are only doing small changes (less than 10%) regularly then I dont think it would have a large impact on it at all.
                -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

It would only hurt if you were removing the ammonia/nitrite from the tank faster then the BB could absorb it. Then you would effectively starve and kill it. Though that doesn't really happen it would seem, i would imagine you at least reduce the amount of BB in the tank and if you ever stopped doing the daily water changes you could cause an ammonia spike. It would either take a few days to cycle back to full production or break your cycle.
                  My life is chemical. Blood laced with status quo.
                  "I am a firm believer that if you love something enough you set it in a small cage and pester and smother it with love until it either loves you back or dies." Mindy Kaling

Comment

Working...
                  X